Chapter Eighteen: Meeting

XANDER

While her Highness trained, I was able to observe her from afar.

Physically, she wasn't that strong, but I had come to learn that her true strength came from within. She had a genuinely beautiful heart, one that simply radiated outwards. She truly cared for everyone, especially those closest to her. Like a true ruler she wanted to protect them, but without anyone getting hurt in the process.

The longer I spent with her, the more I was drawn to her.

I realised that that was also one reason why I tried befriending her. Under all that royalty, she was a normal person. It occurred to me that I hadn't been treating her like a normal human being, but that I was treating her by her title.

Training wrapped up nicely. Elena dragged the sword on the ground alongside her, its point creating a continuous groove through the dirt. She wiped the sweat off of her face with the back of her hand, her face contorting in pain.

I found myself smiling as I watched her. I walked towards her and took the sword from her hands, easing her of the burden of its weight.

"Well done Princess. I was impressed." I commended her.

Elena scoffed and placed her hands on her hips, trying to steady her breathing. "No you weren't. You're just being nice. I can't even carry the thing." She exclaimed, gesturing to the sword in my hands.

"Practice is all. You'll be able to carry it with one hand in no time." I assured her.

She shook her head in disbelief.

"Come, we must head back. We mustn't be late for the meeting." I told her.

She nodded and followed me to the horses. We untied them and mounted, then headed back to town.

We rode into the heart of Celia, more and more people started gathering from all directions, occupying what would normally the marketplace, full of stalls, but was now empty to make room for the townspeople.

We took the horses to the stable and walked from there back to the marketplace, to the large crowd that had now gathered.

My senses and instincts were placed on high alert when we were pushed forward, as more people started filling the marketplace.

I felt someone grip my arm and looked to see Elena with a fearful look on her face, looking around at the people surrounding her at such close proximity. I put my hand around her shoulder and guided her to stand in front of me; I would be able to see everything and everyone around her.

"Welcome everyone and thank you for taking the time out of your morning to attend today." A booming voice called out from the front.

A middle aged man stood on a platform, addressing the crowd. His face was unfamiliar to me.

"As you know this meeting allows for the citizens of Celia to address matters of concern, and if possible, to come to solutions." The man declared. "Is there a matter you would like to address?" He asked the people.

Murmurs surged through the crowd.

"One at a time if you may," The man's loud voice echoed.