Chapter Twenty-Three: Desserts

ELENA

It truly amazed me how sharing something personal with someone can change your relationship with them drastically.

Even after only a couple of days, I noticed that Alec and I had grown somewhat closer. We seemed inclined to always want to spend time with each other, and the aura around the two of us was always positive. The fact that he had been willing to share a part of him that he normally reserved for those he was closest to, with me, caused me to see him in a completely new light.

It had been a year and a half since we arrived here in Celia but it was only now that I saw and realised just how special he was as a person. I trusted him completely. And it felt good to be able to feel that about someone.

I discreetly watched him as he stood beside me, applauding along with the crowd, a small smile on his face.

Before I knew it, we did indeed have another meeting. It was two days after Alec had told me to expect it. The atmosphere was definitely a lot lighter and happier since the last meeting, which also helped in calming my nerves.

I had one thing on my mind as I turned my attention to the man on the stage, the same man as the last meeting, who I had learned to be the Mayor, asking the crowd to quiet down once more: This meeting was another day closer to seeing Mother again.

The crowd kept cheering, causing me to look around to see Celians smiling and applauding. I couldn't see one unhappy face. It made me smile. It had been a long time since I had seen so many happy faces at one time, in one place.

I felt my arm being grabbed and shaken. I looked to see Samantha grinning from ear to ear as she shook my arm excitedly.

"You hear that? We get to decorate the town! At no cost! I love this part!" She exclaimed happily.

I smiled at her glee. I couldn't help but applaud along with the crowd.

"Alright alright, settle down now." The Mayor yelled to the crowd, clearly having enough of not being listened to. He put a finger to his lips, signalling everyone to quiet down.

After a few seconds of hushing, the noise died down as we stood silence once more.

The Mayor continued. "The Queen has given us a week, just like always, to prepare. This week work is optional. If you need or want the extra money, you may work, but if you would like not to that is also accepted."

The crowd cheered once more. Wow, no work for a week? Was that Mother's idea? That's amazing, look how happy everyone is. I thought to myself.

"We have the Queen to thank for that!" He added with a smile.

"I would also like all of us to be on our best behaviour. I am very proud of our town of Celia but last year's behaviours was embarrassing. Unpopular opinions against the Queen should be kept to ourselves and not broadcast to others, especially on the day Her Majesty arrives. The amount of apologising I did that day was something I don't want to have to do again."

Murmuring surged through the crowd. I heard bits and pieces from those around me, some where recounting what happened, others were saying that those who participated in it didn't deserve to be part of that special day, others said of course they'd be on their best behaviour.