Chapter Two: Alec

CASSIAN

"Congratulations my boy." Father told me proudly with a grin as he firmly slapped my shoulder after I told him the news.

At the end of the ceremony I had requested to travel home after the day's duty, and tell my father the news. As honoured as I was to take on this new role, I couldn't help but a feel a little anxious at the thought of leaving my father by himself. He wasn't young in years anymore, and since my mother had passed, it wasn't the same anymore.

We sat down at the table in the living room of our humble home. This place and the castle were all I ever knew.  Although we were facing each other, I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye knowing that I had to leave when the sun rose again the next day.

"It is a great honour for you to be working with the royals my son. They're good people. I remember my days when I- "

"Yes Father I know." I interrupted with a playful eye roll causing Father to hit me in the arm once again with a chuckle. He would never stop talking about the days when he used to serve up at the castle. He loved his job. If old age wasn't a problem he would still be there, no doubt about it.

He sighed. A long silence consumed the two of us. Father looked at his hands as he played with his fingers, before finally looking up at me. "Your mother would be proud Alec." He said softly.

I sighed. "No she wouldn't Father you know that."

My mother was never fond of the life that my father lived. She hated the fact that he was always in danger. She dreaded knowing that there would come a day when she would be told that her husband had died defending the people. As a child growing up she had always encouraged me to pursue something else when I grew up, but becoming part of the Royal Guard just like my father was my dream.

Because of that my mother and I never really got along. We were different in many ways though we shared the same blood. She didn't even call me Alec. She called me Cassian. I was never going to be someone endearing to her.

But I still loved her because my father did. She was good to us, we always had a warm meal to eat every night, and clothes to wear. When she had passed 12 years ago after not being able to recover from a cold despite all the medicine she was given, it broke my father in two. I on the other hand, wasn't so affected.

That's as far as my relationship went with her. Because they strongly believed in something different, I grew up knowing two things - either work comes before love. Or love comes before work.

"What're you thinking about?" Father asked me.

I shook my head and smiled a small smile. "About you and mother."

Father reached over and enclosed my hands in his. "Look at me." He told me softly.

I slowly looked up from the table to meet his eyes which had dulled in intensity as he grew older to reveal a softer hue of blue. Crinkles next to his eyes appeared as he smiled at me.

"Your mother may not have wanted this job for you my son; but she would be so proud of the man that you have become my dear Cassian Alexander. That is more important."

I breathed out a shaky chuckle and hung my head low.

"I will miss you," He continued squeezing my hands in his. "But I want you to finish what I started. You can repay me for everything I've done for you in this way."

I nodded. "Yes Father."

"Good. You know they chose the best person for the job." I could hear a smile in his voice.

I immediately started to doubt his confidence. "Have you done anything like this Father?" I ran my hands through my hair nervously. "I mean, this is big. It will only be the Princess and I for two years. I have to protect her, but I have to get to know the town and make sure that it's safe! And then-"

"Alec, Alec, you need to calm down." My father voice was soft, reassuring. "I understand how big of a task this is," He paused, as if it gather his thoughts once more.

He continued. "In my experience, it is best to think only of today. As an ancient saying goes: 'Do not fret over tomorrow, for tomorrow will do its own fretting; a day's evil is a sufficiency for that day.' One day at a time my son, one day at a time."

I sat there and repeated my father's words in my head. Slowly, I started to feel more calm. Sometimes my biggest enemies weren't other people, it was myself.

"You'll do great. I know you will."

I closed my eyes and stood up from the table. I felt my father let go of my hands and heard the scrape of the chair knowing my father my father had also stood up. The sound of footsteps came closer and closer as I felt my father wrap his arms around my shoulders in an embrace. I did the same and hugged him tight, knowing this would be the last time in a long time.

"Get some sleep Alec." He said as he slowly let go. "I'll see you in the morning."

~~~
Wow this took a year to get to the next chapter oh my.

Bear with me please.

Hope you liked this chapter, a little insight into one of the main characters, Cassian Alexander.

I'm welcome to feedback :) Any comments and suggestions let me know!

Hope you're having a great day! Thanks for reading!

GM.