Chapter Fifteen: Ball

ELENA

"Wow! Where did you even get a dress like that?!" Sam gushed as she met me outside the house, just as the sun was setting.

After a days work the whole town of Celia rushed to their houses to get everything and themselves ready for the ball.

I looked down at my dress. It was definitely such a surprise to unpack, comparing it to all my other everyday clothes. It was a simple, blue gown. No diamonds or stones, just blue fabric and a little lace.

Mar told me that Timothy was in charge of packing my bags so I'm surprised he even knew I'd need something like this. I told myself to thank our dressmaker when I returned.

"It was a.. gift." I replied.

Sam huffed as she examined my dress. "Yeah a gift by the rich! I could never afford anything like this!" She said, lifting up the side of my dress before watching it as she let it fall.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous." She added.

Sam was wearing exactly what she wore everyday to work to the ball. She didn't have many clothes, not even a dress, but she assured me the clothes she was wearing tonight was clean.

"And Xander, look at you!" Sam gushed again as Xander approached us from behind.

It seems that Timothy had also sent over nice clothes for him as well. He wore black on white, an inner garment and a long black woollen coat, and leggings.

He bowed slightly as he reached us, causing Sam to laugh.

"I love how you do that randomly, it makes us feel royal. Doesn't it Elena?" She asked with a smile.

You have no idea, I thought, nodding at her question and smiling in return.

"Lets go!" She said excitedly as she linked her arms with mine, pulling me forward.

It was a fair walk to the venue. Since Celia wasn't a very rich town Lord May had organised the ball in the centre of town, where the people would gather for meetings. It was a large enough space for everyone.

Upon arriving we were greeted with music and stringed lights, flowers and the smell of food. Lord May's guard were stationed at every corner so no one could try to sneak in without first paying money.

Sam was pulling me towards the entrance when a hand suddenly gently enclasped my wrist causing me to stop. "Emilia," I heard a soft call of worry from behind.

I looked down at the hand and then up at the owner, to see Xander, cautiously looking around.

"Wait," he said. He then looked at me and came close and bent down to whisper in my ear, my arm brushing against his chest.

"What's going on?" I heard Sam ask.

"There's too many people. I must do a round before you enter, just to be safe." He told me in a low voice.

I nodded in response, causing him to let go of my wrist and push past us, going up to the guard and paying the money before being let in. I watched as his figure became a silhouette as he turned and disappeared amongst the crowd.

"Where did Xander go? Why did he just leave?" Sam asked.

"He said he wanted to check something first." I replied.