22

killua often wondered, where had his sister been before she showed up one day on their door, too bruised and broken to be called human, the haunting blue of her eyes indicating she was entirely something else.

she was beautiful, beyond all words he could ever think of, and at his young age he saw that the longer she sat in her chair in the garden looking distantly as if gazing at an entirely different world he could never hope to see, the more that beauty slipped away. in its place steadily grew something he learnt to be afraid of.

she was healing from her injuries, broken ribs, broken nose, broken leg, twisted arm, he was almost sure there were more that he didn't know of, how did anyone survive that anyway? the more days passed, the more bruises healed, fast, faster than what any human could be capable of, and then one day he woke up and she wasn't in the chair she sat in for the past few weeks.

he felt panicked to lose again the sister he didn't get to know yet, ran inside looking for her butler, any butler, anyone really to tell him she was still home somewhere here, she had to ask him his name yet, and alluka's too, to speak to him a single word, to be the sibling illumi could never be, killua had a deep buried need of a family, a proper one, even if it was just one person.

eve was on the training grounds, when he finally reached them on the other side of the mansion, his father had stopped him from stepping outside instead seated him besides him as they both looked on, watching carefully her graceful moves as she trained with zeno.

he was curious, as far as he knew his grandpa had no interest in training them, it was his father's role, and illumi's, and yet killua suspected if any of them could keep up with eve's fast movements as she tried to strike zeno down, even land a hit on him, by the end of the day she didn't even do as much as get close enough, and yet his grandpa had a pleased look on his face as he instructed her to sit down and meditate until all tension bent up in her seemingly frail body was gone, she didn't even blink only followed the order.

he sat there even when his father left to attend to some business, and yet he knew this wasn't like when she sat in the chair and he sat behind too scared of even breathing too loud thinking once she noticed his presence, he was no longer welcome by her side.

"hello killua"
she knows my name, he thought first, and with that knowledge came a certain fear that no one ignited in him ever she knows my name, you did not rejoice when monsters learnt your name, you only fear.

even after all those years, killua knew better than to let go of that first fragment of terror he tasted with eve's first words to him

he learnt to be less cautious, but cautious still, cautious was how you survived. he learnt she was no monster when she didn't want to be one, that she wouldn't be the sister he had dreamed of but she could try for his sake, he learnt that she liked pulling pranks with him, running around, screaming atop of her lungs, dancing the night away, painting adrian's features as he sat in the summer sun for hours.

he learnt eve was what gods ought to be, beautiful and charming and filled with wonder, he learnt to never let go of his fear, to bury it, but not deep enough for it to not dig up its way to his heart whenever she stopped being his sister and started being something else, that hint of a thing not entirely human he saw in her eyes they first time he ever caught sight of her.

"she had spent too much time in the dark" zeno would say to his father, no one was entirely sure if she had yet stepped into the light, or if she brought something back from that place within her.