10

Chrollo was sitting down on the remains of a building that fell down long ago before he was even born yet.

Everything in meteor seemed to be broken just like its people, as if the gods turned a blind eye to it.

He was no different, just another lost soul roaming the earth without purpose, for now at least.

His eyes were glued to his book, a book he stole long ago when he was still a kid, he took huge interest in it, even liked it more when eve's curious eyes followed it as he threw it from one hand to another bragging to her about how they even failed to notice its disappearance until he was long gone.

Those were the days he cherished most, when the only room in his heart to care were filled by eve and his lone book, that was his treasure in life.
Now eve's gone, and all he had left was the book and the few words she wrote on random pages.
He remembered them by heart.

"You and i belonged to each other, before we ever existed and long after our existence meets an end"

Eve was fourteen then, and she had such intelligent eyes that read him the same wat he reads his books now.

That night they were both laughing like kids they were kids all over again, dancing around in their room lightened by miserable candles, he held her close and she laughed away all her fears and sorrows, head buried in his neck.

Hands on her sides he moved her body to a rhythm he hummed, telling her about a party for 'fancy folks' that took place in the church.

What he got glimpse of and mistook for being a fancy gathering for rich people, was nothing but a poor joke in comparison to the parties that took place in yorknew, that was as fancy as meteor city could afford, which was nothing at all.
Chrollo was simply a naive child that didn't have a look at the world outside that hell hole he lived in to understand that.

It was a wedding but he couldn't even notice, his gaze only glued to the necklace one of the women wore.
His eyes followed her for the whole evening, watching from behind the window even when it started to rain and his clothes were soaked wet, even when the cruel wind swayed him back and forth he couldn't take his eyes off the necklace.

Somewhere in the back of his head a voice kept repeating it wasn't fair for her to have such a beautiful gem around her neck, it didn't belong there, it was his to take and eve's to wear, and before he knew it that rule applied to everything he caught a sight of.

It was his given right to take whatever he wanted, for life didn't give him nothing other than misery,

he learnt that if he wasn't fed what he craved on silver spoons he would lick it off knives then.

By the end of the night chrollo followed behind the woman who left to go home, now lightened only by the pale moonlight the boy's eyes saw how poorly sewed her dress was, no longer shining under the lights of the church's chandelier, he was no longer watching in awe now that realisation struck him.

And before eve started getting worried about him, chrollo finally made it back home, the necklace in his hands and a little bit of blood staining his white shirt.

Even now he smiled at the thought of her worried face, not noticing the gift in his hand but the bruise on his cheek, it made him somewhat feel safe, knowing that her eyes failed to see the glimmering gem he held in plain sight because she was only looking at him, only looking for him.