Chapter 22

"Say, Chat... are you that excited?"

Chat Noir couldn't help but act out his habit of scratching at the back of his neck. "Is it that easy to tell?" he questioned with a hint of worry.

Ladybug let out an amused hum in response, indicating affirmance. Gracing her features was a soft smile; unseen by him due to the opaque strip of cloth currently hindering his vision.

"It is exciting, but..." He sighed. "...maybe a little nerve-wracking as well, to say the least."

Setting a soothing hand upon his shoulder, his partner promised, "Hey, there's no need to be nervous. I already told you, as long as you're only together in hidden places, Hawk Moth won't be able to use them against you. Besides, I could always cast an illusion to-"

"No, no! I'm not worried about that!" Adrien reassured, despite a split-second thought of worry flashing through his mind at her words. "Well, maybe a little bit, b-but I'm just... what if this whole thing doesn't go well? What if Marinette and Luka realise that they don't want me to be in any part of their relationship?"

Unprompted, a slight, sympathetic gasp escaped Ladybug's lips. "Oh, Kitty... is that what this is all about?"

She placed a hand atop of his head - ruffling the blond locks there for a few seconds.

She spoke on, "Trust me, you don't need to be worried in the slightest. I've met Luka and Marinette before, and I'm sure they won't reject you just like that. Even if they did, it'd be stupid on their behalf." Her voice lowered to a whisper, as if to hide her next sentence of, "If you ask me, I think you're the best partner a hero could ever ask for - no exceptions. They'd be missing out for sure."

There was reigning silence for several moments. Then, the upturning of Chat's lips. "Thanks, LB."

"No problem, Chaton."

It was then that the faint sound of footsteps reached both of their ears, seeming to be slowly walking up stairs and towards them. Ladybug reacted with a soft gasp of, "Oh! That's my cue!"

Her voice suddenly became closer to where he was stood. "I'll leave you to it, Chat. Make sure to have a good time!" she bid. "Go get 'em, Tiger." Those parting words were emphasised by a teasing pat to his left shoulder, causing a chuckle to bubble up within his chest.

His false cat ears twitched as the zing! of her iconic yo-yo string resounded nearby, then flicked to the side as they sensed incoming footsteps once again. They lasted for a few seconds more - around ten - but all at once halted right behind his figure. He fought off the urge to turn around.

Instead, his breath caught in his throat when nimble fingers began to unknot the blindfold wrapped around his head, gently and with care. They soon allowed for the cloth to drop, resting around the hollow of his neck.

Almost hesitantly, Chat Noir opened his eyes. His breath was taken away all at once.

Everything was so...familiar.

Chartreuse sclera blinked slowly in a cat-like manner. They glanced about in a curious haze, met with the sight of pink, white and orange petals scattered about the ground everywhere. Colourful candles lined the railings (of what he realised to be the Eiffel Tower's) surrounding him - lit with small, glowing flames.

The scent of flowers and faint smoke invaded his nostrils, and Chat allowed himself to grin from the imagery of gardens, grass and fields that he gained from it. There was also a strong aroma of flour, of bread, and as he glanced down he saw several baby pink boxes stacked together and all labelled with cursive Ms. They were from Marinette's parents' bakery.