Chapter 13

Wind blew strong against Ladybug's form, causing shivers to wrack through her body as she swung in the sky. People below waved their arms about in excitement at the sight of her, yet she simply ignored it all.

Her focus was instead on making her way over to Luka's home.

She threw out her yo-yo again, and heard its telltale zipping cutting the air. Then, the string pulled taught, and she was once again lifted into suspension.

The sun lit up Marinette like an angel, allowing her figure to be seen from miles away in the city of Paris.

It was as if the only one to disturb the peace was her - apart from the insistent chirping of birds and echoes of cheers from the crowds far away.

A boat in the distance made Ladybug's eyes light up. She sped up her movements with faster steps and higher leaps.

Half a minute later, she finally landed on a rooftop nearby Luka's, making her let out a sigh of relief. She placed the yo-yo previously in her hand at her hip, and began to glance around.

"...Huh," she muttered to herself after not seeing him anywhere. "Maybe he got held up?"

Marinette's bluebell eyes caught onto a high-up chimney, and her gaze became resolute. She sprung up by her heels and perched on top of the structure.

Her head tilted in all directions, whilst she scanned her surroundings. However, when there were no results of what she wanted, her brows furrowed.

Ladybug stood up slowly, still slightly panting from the rooftop running earlier.

That was when a flash of blue was visible in an alley right underneath her.

Ocean eyes narrowed. A spotted heroine moved like an acrobat down a house's wall, using the fire escape and grooves in the bricks to help herself down.

Though it was still daytime, shadows ate up the corners of the alley, preventing Marinette from seeing anything close. She edged backwards, peeking about, with her yo-yo spinning as a blur.

"Ladybug?"

The voice from behind prompted her to let out a short scream, as she whipped back and flipped the taller person over. She found herself pinning someone familiar to the ground, with their face right in front of hers.

"L-Luka!" she squeeked, jumping back. "I'm s-so sorry!"

The teen scrambled to get up, and held a hand out. Luka took it quickly and stood, yet didn't let go.

"Ladybug, you need to get out of here," he spoke. "He's looking for me, specifically."

"W-What?" she stuttered. "An akuma is?"

Luka raised a brow, asking, "Wait, you don't know that he's been akumatized?"

"...No...? Who?" Marinette answered after a second.

Suddenly, there was a booming laugh from above - almost on the border of a cackle - that was painfully recognisable to the two teenagers. Ladybug snapped her head up to the source of it.

A gasp escaped her mouth.

"What's wrong, Bugaboo?" the crouched person mused. "Surprised that it's me? I bet you never thought it was possible, did you?"

"H-How, what, w-why?"

Adrien landed on the ground in front of them with his head bowed, as another hysterical chuckle shook his chest. The shadows around hid his figure well, only letting his silhouette be seen.

"'Why'?" he rhetorically quizzed. "Well, it's because Luka-" he hissed the name in a venomous manner, "-here took what I loved!"

The akuma vaulted up high into the air with his staff, then held it up to hit the duo down below. Marinette gasped, throwing her body at Luka to push him out of the way.