Chapter 4

Unlocking the hatch, Marinette slowly pushed the trapdoor open, peeking out from the space. The sight of black boots tipped in silver made her sigh in relief, as she brought her full head out into the open.

Climbing out, Chat Noir held out a hand, which she graciously took. Their height difference meant that the male was glancing down at Marinette, as she turned her head up to meet his eyes.

Before he could get entranced by the bluebell orbs, a confused voice called out, "Chat Noir?"

He broke eye contact, right as she asked, "What are you doing here? Is there an akuma?"

Marinette inwardly curse Hawk Moth, pondering as to why the man had to akumatize more than one Parisian in a day.

"No, no," Adrien assured. "I just wanted to make sure you were alright after your friend was akumatized earlier today."

"Oh! Yeah, I'm fine!" Marinette said, scratching the back of her neck, despite the fact that a whirlwind of thoughts were causing turmoil in her head.

Noticing the setting sun behind Chat Noir, Marinette questioned, "Do you want to come inside for a while? Wouldn't want you to get cold while we talk."

Surprised by the offer, he could only bring himself to nod as his classmate reopened the trapdoor leading to her bedroom and gestured for him to follow. The slight creak of the hinges sounded, whilst his slit eyes scanned the area. Though he couldn't see much of the walls, the first thing that caught him off guard was the sight of different pictures pinned to the corkboard beside the bed.

One was a selfie of Marinette and Kagami, right next to an image showing Gina Dupain and her granddaughter hugging with warm expressions on their faces. Distracted from the new look, he almost didn't catch the faint voice of Marinette saying, "You can come down onto the chaise, Chat."

Shaking his head slightly, he crawled on his knees across the matress, the surface sinking wherever he pressured it. Clambering down the ladder, he caught Marinette standing there with a small smile gracing her features, dimples on her freckled cheeks.

"I'm going to go get some cookies from downstairs," she informed. "Just wait here, I'll be back soon." Turning, she began to walk towards the hatch on the ground, sending him a quick wave before disappearing.

Pulling out his baton, he checked the time, deeming it early enough to be able to relax on the soft chaise. Settling on the material, he closed his eyelids, a purr forming in his throat. Before he could let it out, a flicker of red in his peripheral vision made him start, where he suddenly noticed the wall directly in front of his form.

Eyes widening behind the mask, Chat slowly stood, edging towards one wall. Littered across it were photos of students he knew, some well and some vaguely. However, what really caught his attention was the lack of magazine clippings of Adrien Agreste, or images of his face at all.

Gazing about, Chat Noir realised that any photos of Alya were removed, along with anything linking to his classmates in any way. The fact that he had less of a presence in the room made something in his heart weigh heavy, but before he could feel the full extent of it, Marinette entering through the hatch broke him out of his reverie.

A tray of chocolate-chip cookies in hand, she strolled to her desk, sitting on the chair. Rolling it over to where he was standing, she held out the treats, asking, "Cookies? They've got chocolate chips!"

He could only stare, baffled at her carefree demeanour. Noticing his floundering, her brow furrowed in worry. "Are you okay, Chat?"

"What happened to everything on your walls? I thoughts they were covered with Adrien Agreste, weren't they?"