Chapter 5

Threading her fingers through her locks, Marinette couldn't help the fluttering feeling in her stomach as she gazed into the mirror. Instead of the signature pigtails she always wore, she had settled on it being loose and wavy, reaching her shoulders.

Taking another deep breath, Marinette sent Tikki a small smile, just before the kwami zipped into her spotted purse. Adjusting the strap of her backpack, she made her way downstairs, past the hatch separating her bedroom and the living room.

Almost immediately, the aroma of eggs and toast wafted into her nostrils, causing her mouth to slightly water. Tikki stifled a giggle at her owner's expression, instead choosing to nibble on the fresh cookie in her paws.

"Hey, Honey," Sabine greeted, walking up to Marinette and placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Good morning, Maman."

Sitting at the table, the teenager lifted an already-full glass of orange juice to her mouth, taking a large gulp. The cold temperature of the liquid trickled down her throat, the taste tickling her senses as she licked her lips from the sweetness.

"Sweetheart, how are you?" Tom questioned. "Did you have a good sleep?"

Nodding in confirmation, Marinette began to consume her breakfast, cutting up the omelette with a knife and chomping down on the food with her fork. Tom strolled to where she sat, and put down a pale pink box marked with the bakery's logo.

"Thank you for making them on such short notice, Papa," Marinette said, picking up a buttered slice of toast from a nearby china plate.

"I was more than happy to bake them," Tom promised. "But are you sure that you want to invite Chloe over at lunch today?"

Before Marinette could answer, Sabine input, "She's actively tried to destroy items that you've made, like that present for your teacher, and tried to spill the secrets in your diary."

Fighting off a wince, she swallowed the piece of toast she was chewing and exclaimed, "I know! But I really think Chloe is becoming better!"

Though they were sceptical, Marinette's parents both engulfed her in a hug, whilst she smiled and let out a small giggle.

"As long as you're sure of it, Sweetheart."

~*~*~

It took all of Marinette's effort not to scuttle away like her alter-ego's namesake back to the bakery, and instead hold her chin high as she began to walk up the school steps.

The corridors were mostly empty, probably because the teenager had woken up significantly earlier than usual, making her let out a sigh of relief.

Giving a few waves and nods of acknowledgement to several friends from different classes, Marinette finally arrived at the classroom door, where she held her hand out to the handle.

It felt like the wind was knocked out of her, suddenly reminiscing of the last memory she'd experienced nearby the spot she resided in now. An auburn-haired teenager accusing her of despicable acts, a DJ giving a disappointed glare.

She didn't notice her fingers were trembling until a nudge at her hip brought her back to reality, allowing her to see that the metal of the handle was gripped so tight in her hand that the knuckles were flaring a pale white.

A quick glance at Tikki made her steel her nerves, left fist clenched, whilst the other arm slowly inched the oak wood door open. It let out a little creak, breaking the strict silence.

What Marinette wasn't expecting was the sight of Chloe turning her head up when the door opened, and freezing when she caught the eyes of her classmate. The nail file in her grip stopped it's movements against her cuticles, whilst the two exchanged bewildered stares at each other.

Clearing her throat softly, Marinette strolled casually in the direction of Chloe, and made her way around the desk, sitting in Sabrina's seat. The blonde tracked her movements with an icy gaze, right to the moment when she sat.

"Chloe," she said, giving the girl a nod in greeting.

"Dupain-Cheng."

Marinette zipped open her backpack, after placing it beside the desk. She removed a new sketchbook, courtesy of Kagami, and a tablet that she frequently used for schoolwork.

"Dup-". She cut off, correcting herself with, "Marinette."

Surprised by the name, said teenager turned to Chloe in surprise, two pairs of eyes meeting for the second time in the span of a minute.

"I wanted to apologise," she started sincerely. "For everything."

Though Marinette's mouth hung open for a second, her lips soon formed into a wry smile as she decided, "Apology accepted."

Chloe's eyes bulged, quizzing, "Just like that? After everything I've done to you?"

Letting out a small sigh, Marinette placed a hand on the other girl's shoulder as she began to explain, "Chloe, even though you've done a lot of terrible things in the past, that doesn't mean you aren't forgivable."

"I heard what happened when Sabrina was akumatized again." Chloe's head shot up, right as she continued, "You're so strong to have accepted that you had to give up being Queen Bee, even if it was a tough decision."

"It was," the teen agreed, taking a harsh gulp. "Being Queen Bee felt like an escape for me, being able to get away from everyone thinking of me as 'a pompous brat' or 'the Mayor's daughter'."

"I..." Marinette looked away, exhaled heavily and turned back, saying, "I wanted to ask if I could be your friend, if that's okay?"

There was silence for around thirty seconds, where the duo maintained eye contact for an awkward amount of time. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Chloe's lips twitched upwards.

"Okay, Dupain-Cheng, but just remember that being the best friend of the Mayor's daughter comes with many expectations," she agreed. "And one is that you have to look stunning for the paparazzi."

Marinette giggled, asking, "And I'm not?"

There was no hesitation when Chloe answered with, "Usually, of course not! It's a good thing you let your hair out of those utterly childish pigtails, though, so we have a start in making you camera-worthy!"

Letting out a chuckle, Marinette laughed in amusement, alongside one of the people she'd never even consider being friends with not so long ago.

Whilst the two were about to engage in more conversation, the classroom door opening made them look towards the direction of it, where they saw the familiar faces of several classmates about to enter.

The footsteps of them abruptly stopped when the students caught sight of Marinette and Chloe sitting beside each other, no annoyance visible on their faces.

Here comes trouble.