Chapter 7

Marinette had just finished answering the worksheet when the shrill bell suddenly rang in her ears, making her let out a sigh of relief. Packing up her equipment, she zipped up her spotted backpack and stood, waiting for Chloe to do the same.

"Remember, children. This project has to be done in either pairs or threes, and it is due in next week," Miss Bustier reminded. "Have a good day!"

There were many mutterings of gratitude to the teacher from the students, and soon most of the teenagers had filed out of the classroom.

Chloe shifted a stray strand of blonde hair behind her ear, before slinging her handbag strap over her shoulder. The females strolled to the front desk, placing down their sheets in the growing pile, and made their way out.

It was when Marinette had just stepped into the corridor that a voice called, "Hey, gurl."

She held in a sigh, turning back to meet Alya's gaze. The auburn-haired girl was arm-in-arm with Nino, who nervously readjusted the red cap on his head.

"Me and Nino here-" she gestured to her boyfriend, "-were wondering if you'd like to work with us."

Behind her, Chloe snorted, though Marinette could tell that she had tried to hold it in.

"No thank you, Alya. I'm already working with Chlo," she declined, pointing to the Mayor's daughter.

"Wait, you're working with her? I get that you might be on speaking terms, but surely you shouldn't even be in each other's presence after all she's done to you?"

"Oh, you think so?" Marinette asked. "Which other friend should I work with?"

"Me, obviously. Me and Nino."

She rubbed her hand on her forehead in annoyance, stating, "Why should I work with you if we aren't friends? You said yourself that we weren't."

"Listen, Marinette. Of course we're friends," Alya countered. "Remember when you babysat Ella and Etta for me? That just proves that we're close."

Raising an eyebrow, she questioned, "You mean all those times you pestered me to look after them without pay when you and Nino were out on dates?"

The male's face, previously giving Marinette a confused frown at her denial of working together, contorted into shock.

"Alya, you didn't pay her?"

Said girl scoffed as if the answer was apparent. "Friends do favours for each other, so why should I have had to with my money?"

"But your Mum gave you it to give Marinette!"

"We're friends Nin-"

"Were," Marinette cut in. "Were friends. Now, if you'll excuse us, me and Chloe will be going to have lunch and work on our projects, hopefully."

She moved to the stairs, ignoring the blatant feeling of Alya staring after her. Chloe gave her a pat on the shoulder just as they made it to the bottom of the steps, which Marinette acknowledged with an appreciative smile to the blonde.

"Of course Miss 'I post slander on my website for views' Cesaire would think friends do that many favours for each other," Chloe sneered.

"You know..." Marinette started, voice increasing in timidity as she spoke. "Isn't that what it's like between you and Sabrina?"

The question, though quiet and hesitant on Marinette's part, seemed to echo around them, as Chloe froze for a millisecond.

After bringing herself back to her senses, she answered, "Was. Lila managed to convince her to be a slave for her instead of me just before Sabrina went on vacation."