Coming Back to School

"Hey, we are letting you out of the hospital, and sending you back to school tomorrow."  I looked up at the doctor with a tired expression. "Fine. At least i'm getting out of this hellhole."

I hated it there, and trust me, I was so glad to be leaving. That car ride though was awful. No words were neccessary, as the pity stares they gave me were enough.

I hated those looks. Like they didn't know it was their fault, like they didn't know what they had done to me. Going home felt so strange, going back to a place I thought I had left forever.

I went straight to my room, laying across my bed. I pulled out my phone, texting Vee, Abby, Audrey, and Clay, telling them all about what had happened. But, despite all their kind words, I still felt empty. I couldn't wait to see what school does.

I knew the moment I walked into the schools that people were talking about me. I could hear them, but suddenly, one voice struck me. A kind happy voice that made me smile, just a little bit. 

"Angel, its so good to see you!" I turned around to see Thomas standing there. "Hey, Thomas!" I couldn't have been more glad to see him. I am still mad, but a soft non judgmental face is better than none. A whole lot better.

Today, his outfit was even more outrageous, but his smile is what drew me. "Will you show me around, you have already been here for a couple years, and I don't know where I am going."

 I smiled, then realized that was my first real smile in a long time. Suddenly, I was tackled by me best friends. "Hey guys, this is Thomas, the boy who saved my life. Thomas, This is Vee, Audrey, Clayton and Abby"

his eyes lit up at the words "The guy who saved my life."."Im going to show him around campus." I smiled again at Thomas. "Lets go." Despite all the whispers, I got the feeling that I would feel much better.

The whispers followed me around all day, but I payed no attention to them. I was a lot more confident than I would have been without anyone else.

In my classes, I was treated much the same, and at lunch, I felt more at home around my friends with Thomas by my side, than I had ever felt among them before.

 I learned Thomas had choir, and he was a good singer. He made me laugh the whole class long, and all the girls loved being around him. he was very charismatic.

 After school, I was accompanied home by him. "Thank you very much, Tom, can I call you that." He laughed. "Sure. And, thank you for saying I saved your life. In the hospital, you acted like I stopped you, instead of saving you. "

I grimaced. "Meeting you changed my mind, at least on a lot of things. Seeing that you can hold up under such words, such awful language, that you gave me the courage to face life. I feel better about my future."

He smiled and brought me into his arms. "Even though I have only just met you, I feel as though I have known you forever." I simply smiled and went inside. Through the window, i could see him looking at me, smiling and waving. I laughed. This boy was quite incredible.

In my journal, I wrote "Such a strong boy, to dress like well, like someone gay, and not be, and be able to stand up to such language. What an amazing personality to be kind to a girl like me. I must thank him." That night, I dreamed of him, of Thomas, the wonderful boy who saved my life.