Chapter 11: Saved

Drago's massive flagship leads the flotilla, pulled along forcefully by whatever's at the other end of the enormous chain. Drago whacks the chain with his bull-hook, spurring it forward. I grimace, not wanting to know what massive creature is underneath the water.

All of us plus Eret are escorted to the stern, surrounded by several of Drago's soldiers. Our wrists are bound and spear tips are pressed into our backs. I personally want to kick them each into the water below us, but unfortunately, my hands are tied at the moment.

"Could this day get any worse?" Snotlout asks.

"Uh, let me see. You'll jump into freezing cold water and then die from drowning," Tuffnut offers as an example.

I sigh. "Well, at least I'm getting to know you guys better." I smile lightly. "Talk about the ultimate bonding experience."

"Even though you want to leave Berk?" Fishlegs asks, his tone more hurt than angry.

The others seem to tense at that, including me.

I sigh. "I never made any promises...about staying or leaving."

We reach the gang plank. Eret peers overboard at the deep, icy water below.

"Looks refreshing," he mumbles. I'm standing directly behind him, two soldiers holding my arms. Eret turns to me, meeting my glare with mock chivalry. "Please, ladies first."

"If I had my dragon, I would personally-" I start.

"Duck," Eret whispers to me.

I drop instantly. Eret whirls around, round-housing both soldiers. They drop like stones. He catches one of their spears with his bound hands and slices his ropes free. They fall away as he catches the other spear, twirling both easily.

"Warn the others!" a soldier hollers.

One soldier runs to send up the alarm while the last two raise blow dart tubes. Eret swipes the first off of his legs, sending the dart into the neck of the second.

"Get 'em, you son of an Eret!" Ruffnut says in a sultry tone.

As the downed soldiers scramble to their feet, Fishlegs falls over, crushing them under his weight. Eret catches the falling tube from the second soldier and blows the dart at the fleeing third. The soldier drops, unconscious. Everyone's eyes widen simultaneously.

"Okay, I love you again," Ruffnut breaks the silence.

Ruffnut skips past Snotlout on her way to Eret. Snotlout watches, heartbroken.

"Ugh. Pathetic. You can still jump," Tuffnut says to him, jerking his head towards the water.

Eret avoids Ruffnut and turns to Astrid, who is helping me up from where I'm sitting on the deck in shock.

"So? Are we going to save your dragons and get out of here or not?" he asks us.

Astrid narrows her eyes. He reclaims his sword and dagger from the unconscious soldier who took them and cuts Tuffnut free. Then, he turns to Astrid and I, slicing our bonds and letting us loose.

"Where's Nightstar?" I demand, my only concern for my dragon.

"Check every trap. They're here somewhere," he tells me. He pauses. "I'm sorry."

I smile a tiny bit. "You made it right."

I race to one of the tarps, ducking underneath and cranking. I shimmy up once the jaws have opened, peering inside. Nightstar's bright blue eyes look back at me. When she sees me, a whimper leaves her and she lashes her tail.

"Hey girl! Don't worry, I'm getting you out," I say as I hop down.

I release her from her bonds, wrapping my arms around her neck in a tight hug. She growls lovingly and nuzzles my hair, her breath causing frizz to appear.

"I thought I was going to lose you," I whisper. "I'm so glad you're safe."

She licks my cheek, her wide snout snuffling against my face. We sit together inside the trap, waiting for the inevitable battle that we will have to join.