Chapter 17: Snoggletogg

Months pass and the snow starts to fall. We rebuild Berk and erect new statues to honour Stoick the Vast. Hiccup does a wonderful job as chief, or at least I think he does. Seeing as I've decided to stay in Berk, the Vikings decided to build me my own house. It's small, but it's enough room for Nightstar and I. A wooden Night Fury statue sits above the door and the walls are painted purple, blue, green, and black. I think it's one of the nicest houses in the village.

It's the time for Snoggletogg, a Viking celebration of the winter holidays. I'm feeling rather excited, despite the idea of large crowds. I haven't experienced it in so long that it could very well be far more exciting than I remember.

"Hey Thora!"

I close the door to my house, dressed in my winter clothes; fur-lined boots, thicker pants, and a fur cloak to drape over my shoulders. Nightstar is already greeting Snotlout and Astrid, the two adults returning the same sort of welcome to her.

"You ready to celebrate your first Snoggletogg?" Astrid asks as I move closer to them.

"Yes, quite," I say. "Where do we start?"

"We've got to decorate before sending the dragons off," Snotlout says as the three of us start walking to the main part of the village.

Nightstar nudges me goodbye before flying off to join the other dragons, mainly Toothless of course. We meet up with Eret and the twins in the middle of the village. Eret has become a wonderful addition to Berkian life, as well as doing an awesome job as Skullcrusher's new trainer.

The few of us send a few sparse greetings before we start decorating the square. Hiccup and Fishlegs join us shortly, carrying a few extra supplies.

"Happy early Snoggletog, Thora," Hiccup says, nudging me with his elbow as he passes me.

I laugh a little as I roll my eyes. "And the same to you."

"I haven't had one in a while," Eret admits, scratching the back of his neck as he hangs a shimmering bauble on a wreath.

"About time you two got one, right?" Ruffnut asks, grinning. "Don't forget about presents!"

"Presents are a need," Tuffnut insists.

"I can't wait to see all the babies," I say.

"They're seriously the cutest things ever," Astrid says, tying a bright red bow around a post.

The conversation continues, complete with a detailed dramatic reenactment of their first dragon Snoggletogg experience involving exploding Gronckle eggs and Hiccup losing his helmet.

"We've got mistletoe, right?" I call.

"Plenty to get stuck under, if you know what I mean." Tuffnut smacks my back, and I elbow him in response.

"Go flirt with Astrid," I tease, making him turn pink.

"I'm gonna put on Toothless' self flying tail. That way he can go with Nightstar when the dragons head off," Hiccup comments.

"Doesn't he hate that?" Fishlegs asks.

"Yeah, but I think he'd like to be there this time," the former answers.

We glance at each other and grin. We decided to not tell them Nightstar is pregnant until the dragons come back.

"Just a few more decorations and we should be good!" Astrid announces. "Then, everyone can work on presents!"

"Then move it!" Ruffnut hoots, chucking a bundle of sticks at the back of Snotlout's head.

—————