Chapter 2: Other Riders

"I don't see anything," I mutter.

Nightstar snorts in response as we fly though the sky, the expanse of blue dotted with fluffy clouds. Our quest to find a new home isn't going too good, especially since the amount of villages around here is equivalent to the amount of care I give to the situation. That equals nil. Honestly, this idea is one of the stupidest I've had in a while. I slump over, pressing my forehead against Nightstar's back as I inhale and exhale, brainstorming.

I sit up abruptly, causing my dragon to roar lightly in annoyance.

"What if...we live with other dragons?" I suggest. "Like, we find a nest and...um..."

She looks back at me, shrugging her shoulders. It might work, but maybe humans would be better for you.

"Humans don't need some nomad ruining the way they work. We just need someplace to call a home." I sigh and run my hands down my face. "Back to the drawing board."

Nightstar suddenly perks up, a nervous shake going through her body. I listen closer as I scan the horizon, a few roars sounding like they're a league or so away. Not wanting to run into other dragons right now, I nudge Nightstar in order to urge her to move up. We fly higher into a small cloud cover, but the two of us are still too curious to fly away.

We get closer, and then I hear something incredibly unfamiliar. The dragons are roaring, yes, but there's the sound of laughter accompanying them; human laughter.

I look down through the clouds as the shapes fly directly underneath the two of us. I count five dragons, six riders mounted on their backs.

I do a double take, my brown eyes widening.

"Nightstar, look! They're dragon riders," I whisper. She nods, letting me know that she sees them too. "Should we follow them?"

She replies by turning around and gliding carefully behind them, still under the cover of the clouds. We're both cautious, watching them carefully.

As we get closer, I can identify the different dragons. There's a Zippleback with two riders, one for each head. There's also a Monstrous Nightmare, a Gronckle, and a Deadly Nadder. The last dragon is the one that catches my attention. It's the same kind of dragon as Nightstar; a Fury.

Instantly, I feel an insatiable urge to talk to these people. It may be foolish of me, but if they have answers about Nightstar then I want them.

"Let's reveal ourselves," I say to my dragon, keeping my voice low. "But fly ahead. They can call out to us if they choose."

She nods. We duck below the cloud cover and zoom ahead, acting like we don't notice any of them. I wait, counting down the seconds and nearly forgetting to breathe in the process.

"Hey!" someone yells. I look back to see that the Fury dragon rider is waving to me. "Come back! We're not gonna hurt you!"

Nightstar slows down, turning sharply so that we're facing them. Her large wings beat the air, the two of us hovering from a safe distance away. The rider that just spoke to me motions for me to follow, his group heading straight for some nearby land. I follow, but remain on edge. I check my belt, where my trusty knife is ready for action.

They touch down on the ground while I land Nightstar among the branches of the trees. She bares her teeth a little while I look down at the newcomers, straight-faced and mysterious.

"I can't believe it..." the blonde woman riding the Deadly Nadder whispers.

The two people riding the Zippleback nod in agreement, both of them twins with golden hair. There's a rather pudgy Viking on the Gronckle, while a stout dark-haired man sits on the Monstrous nightmare.