Chapter 15: Victory

Every Berkian viking in hiding notices us as we approach.

"Look, it's Hiccup!" a voice rings out.

Everyone cheers, while Drago looks completely dumbfounded by our reappearance. I urge my Scuttleclaw to take the lead and fly in front of the Alpha. He squeals and flaps madly, getting the attention of Drago. The tyrant points his bull-hook from Nightstar to me, ordering her to chase me. I direct the baby dragon towards the ground.

I leap off the Scuttleclaw once he nears the land. He flies off with a cheerful squeal. I look to the sky to see my dragon flying towards me. With a quick side glance, I can see the others distracting the Alpha with sheep and slingshots.

Nightstar lands in front of me, growling, her pupils still in slits. The Alpha has his attention turned to the sheep being launched into the air, and I can see Hiccup near Toothless. I concentrate on Nightstar.

"Come back to me," I whisper. "This isn't you. You know me. You'd never hurt me."

I hold out my hands in front of her and she snarls, smoke emitting from her nostrils. Her throat begins to glow, but I stand my ground.

"Nightstar...come on, girl." I grab my necklace, holding it in front of me. "You know what this is too. It's the necklace that represents our bond. It has your colours, blue and black." I step forwards. I can see that my dragon is struggling, shuddering, the glow in her throat fading and her pupils expanding a little. "Nightstar..."

I touch her nose, the pads of my fingertips brushing the warm scales. She shrieks, her pupils returning to normal size. She blinks, looking confused before grinning her goofy grin and licking me. I throw my arms around her neck, hugging her.

"Alright, girl. You ready to help Hiccup?" I ask. She nods.

I climb on and we take off as she emits her telltale shriek. Drago notices and his face twists, his mouth curled in an angry sneer.

"NO!" he cries into the air. "I LOST THEM BOTH?! HOW?!"

I see Hiccup flying around on a blindfolded Toothless. The Alpha struggles to get him back under his control. While his gaze is away from Nightstar and I, we zip towards him, firing a blast at his face. The Alpha roars as his attention returns to me. Toothless regains control easily.

Beneath me, Nightstar starts to shudder again, and I turn her away while I still have her in my control. I zoom towards the ground, landing safely with the rest of my friends.

Hiccup and Toothless peel around the other side of the mountain, heading back toward Drago and Bewilderbeast, passing us from where we stand on the ground.

"Take them down!" I whoop.

The Vikings near us roar in support as they race past.

"Go get 'em," Valka says, her voice full of pride.

"Take control of it!" Drago commands.

The Bewilderbeast's hiss becomes a furious roar, but to no avail. Hiccup clamps his hands over Toothless' ear plates, muffling the Alpha's commands.

"STOP THEM!" Drago screams.

The Bewilderbeast takes a deep breath and fires an ice blast at the pair. Toothless suddenly pulls up, arcing over Drago's head. Drago laughs, victorious, then pauses in shock. As Toothless climbs through the sky, the blindfold over his eyes falls free. Hiccup is nowhere to be seen. Me and everyone around me gasps.

Drago spins around, wide-eyed, to see Hiccup zooming towards him, his wing-suit deployed and his Dragon Blade trailing Zippleback gas. Drago swipes with his bull-hook, but misses him. Hiccup clicks the lighter and ignites the gas, blasting Drago off his Bewilderbeast with a terrifying scream.