Chapter 10: Bludvist

I'm not going to say I called it, but...no, never mind, I called it.

"I'm going back out. Don't follow me or tell my dad," Hiccup tells us. He stands in front of us from where we sit near the ocean. I'm settled in between Fishlegs and Ruffnut, leaning against a post.

"What are you looking for again?" Snotlout asks.

"I saw something, a rider," Hiccup reminds him. "Thora saw him too."

"Right, and you're sneaking out against your dad's wishes to find him," Tuffnut says, flicking something off of his finger.

"A potentially dangerous dragon hunter," Astrid adds.

"I'll be fine," Hiccup says. "I'm trusting you guys."

He gives us a few more pointed looks before he takes off. We watch as Toothless gallops to his side, he mounts, and they take off. The remaining six of us exchange nervous glances.

"Something tells me that the strange rider isn't Drago," I say. "He sure didn't look like Stoick's description."

"You'd know best." Astrid shrugs.

We hang around, playing small games and such to keep us occupied. I feel antsy. None of us want Hiccup to get caught, and because of the dragon lockdown, we're a bit grounded. We wait for what feels like a tiny eternity. Nothing happens that's out of the ordinary.

"He hasn't noticed. I think we're all clear," Fishlegs says.

"WHERE'S HICCUP?" a familiar voice booms, seeming to shake the entire village.

"Spoke too soon." Astrid grimaces.

"Crap, crap, crap," I mumble, running my fingers through my auburn bangs.

Stoick appears from around a corner near where we are and strides to us. He's fuming, his face grim. It's like he's already challenging us to try something.

"Alright. Where is he?" he demands.

"Who?" I ask, pulling the best innocent face I can.

"Hiccup. Where is he?"

"Maybe he's sleeping. At home," Astrid suggests sweetly.

"He isn't. I checked." Stoick fastens his hard stare on Fishlegs. "You don't know anything about this? Do you?"

I can see beads of sweat appearing on Fishlegs' forehead. Stoick keeps glaring at him. All of us hold our breath, hoping that the rotund Viking will keep his mouth shut.

"He went after Drago," he blurts, snapping under the pressure.

Ruffnut and Tuffnut smack their foreheads in unison.

"That boy doesn't listen!" Stoick bellows. "Gobber! We have to round up Hiccup again!"

He storms off. We all turn to Fishlegs once he's out of sight.

"I'm sorry! I couldn't handle it!" he says, wiping his face.

The sound of two sets of leathery wings are heard and the figures of Stoick and Gobber can be seen flying away into the sky.

"I don't like it," I say.

"Me neither. We should be helping," Astrid insists.

"I don't like it either. Eret, son of Eret was the man of my dreams. My everything!" Ruffnut moans.

"But, baby, I grew facial hair for you," Snotlout says.

Fishlegs strokes his peach fuzz beard; meek and dejected. "Me too."