Chapter 5: Dragon Race

This is by far the craziest thing I've ever done, right next to training a wild Night Fury.

Nightstar and I whip around the track, chasing the other dragons. A sheep is launched into the air and Meatlug snags it in her paws. Fishlegs grabs it and tosses it to Ruffnut, who grins and lets out a mischievous laugh.

"Not this again, guys," Astrid groans.

I scan the track, searching for where the next sheep could be. There's something building inside me, a competitive spirit that's begging to be released.

There's the sound of snapping leather as another sheep is launched a short ways away from me. I spur Nightstar forwards, snatching it from the air just as Astrid is about to get it. Stormfly roars in surprise.

"Sorry not sorry!" I call as I zip ahead.

I whip around a corner at top speed, the wind making my eyes water. I toss the sheep into the net with the picture of the Night Fury and the crowd cheers wildly. Ruffnut and Tuffnut get their sheep into their net and the crowd roars again. Another sheep appears and Snotlout snags it. He prepares to toss it to Ruffnut and Tuffnut again when Astrid snatches it.

I find myself smiling. It's completely genuine. I haven't had this much fun in a long time.

More sheep are launched, snagged, and tossed between us.

Netted.

Cheering.

Sheep bleating.

One second, two seconds, three seconds.

Lap one, lap two, lap three, go around again.

"That's nine for the twins!" Stoick announces as we zip past again. "Astrid and Thora trail with three! Fishlegs and Snotlout trail with zero!"

That competitive spirit bubbles up inside me with another feeling attached; determination. I lean down to my dragon's ear plate, pressing my body against her and making us more streamlined.

"We can still win this," I whisper. She growls in agreement.

We zip around another corner, the wingbeats of my companions surrounding me. A horn blows and I hear a strong voice holler out, "LAST LAP!"

I'm so determined to win that it's not even funny. I'm down six points, neck in neck with Astrid. I run over the rules in my head. There's regular sheep, and then there's one special sheep that's worth ten points. That would be-

"BLACK SHEEP!" Tuffnut yells.

I perk up. The black sheep is what I need if I'm going to claim victory as my own. Fishlegs grabs the animal first, and just as I've come to predict, he tosses it to Ruffnut.

"Yeah! We're gonna win!" Ruffnut whoops.

"Stop stealing all my glory!" Tuffnut yells as he grabs the sheep.

They start to tussle, yanking the dark-wooled animal between them. Astrid spurs Stormfly forwards, overshooting me and zooming towards the twins. Stormfly snatches the sheep from between them with Astrid laughing loudly as she soars past them. The nets are coming into view, Nightstar whipping past the twins and catching up to Stormfly's spiked tail.

"Alright Nightstar," I say. "Let's win this."

Nightstar roars and zips towards Astrid, kicking her speed into overdrive. I press myself against her body, the two of us streamlined and our speed increasing. My brown eyes narrow as I take a deep breath.

"One...two..." I whisper, slowly gripping my dragon's sides. "THREE!"

On my command, she flips over and soars forwards on her back. We fly underneath Astrid and Stormfly, the black sheep within our grasp. I can hear the crowd yelling and screaming with excitement, a few people chanting mine or Astrid's names as we grow ever nearer to the nets.

Nightstar gives another burst of speed and snatches the sheep from Stormfly's claws. Stormfly roars in surprise as the two of us speed up and flip over at the same time. Nightstar flicks her tail and I laugh, the blood rushing back to my head.

"What the-" Astrid exclaims.

I basket the sheep into my net, winning the race as Nightstar comes to an abrupt halt, hovering in midair. The crowd erupts into cheers and I pump my fist in the air, feeling the adrenaline in my veins tingling. Nightstar shoots a jet of white hot flame into the sky in celebration. I swoop back to the ground and touch down as the others land nearby.

"Not bad for a new girl," Astrid says, giving me a solid high-five.

"Not everyday someone can beat me," Snotlout says.

"You weren't even trying," Fishlegs points out as he punches his friend's arm lightly.

"You didn't have a chance," Tuffnut boasts. "Ruff and I had that in the bag."

The female twin looks my way with her signature sly smirk on her face. "That was a sick last move. How'd you teach her to do that?"

I shrug, not wanting too much attention. "When you're a nomad, you have a lot of time on your hands," I explain. "I taught her a few things."

Someone thumps me on the shoulder from behind, startling me. I stumble forwards a little before the same large hand steadies me. The people near me snicker.

"Wonderful race!" Stoick bellows. "Wonderful!"

"Thanks chief," Astrid says with a kind smile.

I nod in agreement, still a little winded from the thump.

"That was so fun, actually," I admit, catching my breath. "How often do you do that?"

"All the time! It's our favourite activity," Snotlout says.

"Don't forget your jobs! No one is allowed to slack off!" Stoick reminds them, walking away as he give boisterous greetings to the other Vikings. He stops and turns back to us for a moment. "And let me know if someone finds Hiccup!"

"Finds Hiccup? Is he missing?" I inquire.

"New lands, remember? He disappears all the time," Astrid reminds me, that same bit of annoyance back in her tone. "But, I'm on fishing duty! I've gotta go!"

She hops on Stormfly and they take off.

"Yeah! I've gotta go too," Fishlegs says.

He gets on Meatlug and they go. Everyone else disperses after reminding me what their jobs are, leaving me alone with Nightstar. My dragon nudges me a little, as if asking what we're going to do now. I think, hardly noticing the Vikings that congratulate me as they walk by.

My gaze flickers to Stoick, who talks to other Vikings nearby with a look of concern on his aging face. His gaze falls to the sky, a sigh leaving his burly body. He must still be looking for Hiccup.

"Well, we could go for a flight," I suggest. "Want to find Toothless?"

She growls happily and wags her tail. I smile and climb onto her back, settling against the saddle again. She takes off, the two of us sailing off into the sky, the salty sea air blowing across my face as we head out over the ocean.