Chapter 7

For a blessed moment, Harry forgot all about last night's endeavors. But one look at his roommates' odd expressions, reality hit him like a stone brick.

"Um," he mumbled, looking at the conflicting emotions written on their faces. James gave him a look compassion, Peter one of guilt, and Sirius... Sirius he couldn't quite decipher. He had an expression that seemed to state, 'what do I do now?'.

"Good morning?" he said weakly as he rolled off the heels of his feet. James suddenly let out a barked laughter. One that would do older Sirius proud.

"You drop a bomb on us last night and that's how you greet us? You really did inherit my lack of tact, son," James stated with his roguish grin, though it seemed slightly forced. Harry gave a sheepish smile while rubbing his neck nervously. Seeing his uncomfortableness, Remus stepped in.
"Why don't we all head to breakfast," he supplied with no room for argument. The group shrugged and didn't say anything. As the Marauders walked down the hall in silence, Harry tried to hide his grimace. He knew this awkwardness would happen. "Harry, you alright?" Remus asked, his hand on his shoulder. Harry let a weak smile graze his lips.

"I guess so," he muttered. Deciding to avoid the tension, he immediately rushed over to his mum who was with Severus this morning. Landing next to them, he couldn't prevent the sigh that escaped.

"You okay?" Lily questioned in concern. Harry gave her a small smile.

"Yes, I am." Severus raised an unimpressed eyebrow.

"You sure? Nothing happened that's causing Potter and his goons to stare holes into your back?" Harry's small smile turned to a frown as he turned. Sure enough, the group was staring at him. He groaned and banged his head on the table.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Lily asked gently, rubbing his back comfortably. Harry shook his head, not noticing Severus's jealous frown.

"Perhaps one day, but not now," he sighed as he looked at nothing, his voice distant. His friends made eye contact before shrugging. Harry was always a bit odd. After a while of chatter, he started relaxing a bit. Almost enough he started forgetting about the awkwardness bubbling up. Almost. Meanwhile, the Marauders were having their own conversation. As soon as Harry rushed away from them, the conversation immediately steered towards the time traveler.

"Remus, how did you take this so well?" James groaned as he rubbed his temples. His brain was still processing the fact that his son was his friend. Remus shrugged as he ate.

"It's my condition. I feel he is mine to care for, so I just follow my instincts. It doesn't matter where he is from or how old he is," he explained. Sirius gave a small grimace.

"Does it not bother you that Harry knew both of us as adults?" Remus gave him a look.

"I'm not the one trying to date him. It's you that has to worry." James let out a cough while Peter squirmed in his seat. Sirius's face heated up at the reminder.

"Don't remind me," he mumbled as he gazed longingly at the boy in question. The new information only made him less approachable now.

Harry suddenly turned to see their staring. Immediately, he turned back away.

"Oh, sorry for yelling at you Peter," Sirius said sheepishly to the shy boy. Peter lowered his head.

"I deserve it," he whispered, fiddling his thumbs. Remus gave Peter a reassuring smile.

"Peter, you're different now. You wouldn't have done it, I'm certain." Peter didn't look convinced but didn't reply. Sirius let out a strangled cry.