3 Moles Like Constellations

"Good morning, beauty queen! Your coffee is ready for consumption!" My loud daughter stomps on my back at 9 in the morning.

"I'm up..." I grumble, hugging the pillow tighter to my chest. Fuck, I'm so exhausted...

"You've said that ten times, this really should be the other way around, you know?" She chides while hopping on my shoulder-blades.

I groan, stretching my back, causing her to stumble and fall beside me. I open one eye and see her staring at me with a toothy smile, eyes bright. It melts my bad mood away.

I reach out my arm to scoop her towards me, but she shrieks, jumping off the bed.

"No! I'm a busy woman and I got things to take care of!" She says, stomping her little feet to the kitchen in her pink pajamas and hair sticking out in every direction.

"Be careful!" I warn hoarsely, sitting up.

I sort of make the bed and put on black jeans with a clean shirt, moseying out of the room. On my way out, I startle myself in the mirror. Damn, so this is where Ariana gets her crazy hair from.

I pass by the messy living room, with Ariana's toys on the floor, along with loose socks, craft supplies, and boxes I still haven't unpacked. The coffee table has cups and plates from last night's 3 AM snacks I had after a workout.

"Sir, if you could step into the kitchen and provide your child with food, that'd be nice." My sassy daughter formally says, rolling her eyes as she pours me a cup of coffee.

"Apologies..." I bow my head, opening one of the cabinets to pull out a bowl and cereal.

"Aw, no pancakes?"

"Sorry, angel. Daddy's busy." I take out milk from the fridge, pouring it in the bowl—

"Stop!" She shrieks and throws her hands around the bowl. "This is a crime!"

"Huh?" I stare at Ariana whispering words of comfort before drinking the milk.

"Cereal goes first, dad. Ugh. I have to take care of everything around the house..." She shakes her head, pouring chocolate cereal into the bowl.

I lean down to kiss her cheek then take a sip of coffee while checking my phone.

Celia's late...

When I caught her chasing those boys with a stick yesterday, I thought surely she must be missing a few screws in her head. But then she rescued that puppy, and if I'm not mistaken, she was on the verge of tears as she fed him and took care of his wound.

It gave me a sign that she cares, but doesn't like people. Which I can understand. At least she's strong. The past babysitters weren't, at least not enough to contain Ariana's tantrums.

I'm hoping she can.

Hell, she scares me. Sure, she doesn't know what's in store for her, but I'm hoping the money will motivate her to push through. I'll just have to skip a few meals to make ends meet in the meantime.

Stepping outside, I make a mental note to install security cameras around the house.

"Daddy, what are we doing today?" Ariana pops up with a jump rope.

"Change out of your pajamas, angel. Celia will be here soon."

"But I don't want Celia, can't we just—"

"You must be Gio and Ari— oh my! Look at all the tattoos on your arms!" A random voice purrs on my right and I turn to see a middle-aged redhead beaming over the wooden gate.