13 Who Let The Dogs Out

Gio

I need a drink.

I don't know why I invited her.

The whole point was to relax and have a good time and now I won't be able to concentrate.

Not with Chase being an annoying fuck and not with Celia being, well, Celia.

I'm glad Oscar and Chase set me up straight after she walked away. If it weren't for them, I'd probably feel too awkward to say sorry. But they were right, they know me too well.

Both are suspicious if I meant what I said about her, that she's just a babysitter and nothing else. Guess it's because I haven't been involved with anyone since Vivien left.

They also said she's gorgeous, which is obvious and not necessary to point out. Fuck them.

I wish it was easy. I wish I could just flirt and do whatever the fuck I want.

But I'm a fucking parent and there's too much on my plate. I got better things to worry about, like my daughter and the business.

I'm a grown ass man and I can handle a crush.

While Chase takes a shower after a long day of work, the four of us watch a cartoon in the living room. Everyone's already dressed— Ari in a pink sweater and pigtails, Oscar in a polo and hair side-swept, and me in a leather jacket.

"You're going to be cold in that," I point out to Celia, eyeing her bare arms in her red tank top.

"You can borrow one of my jackets!" Ari jumps up, taking her hand. "Let's go, I'll dress you!" She yanks Celia off the couch, dashing to her bedroom.

Two minutes later Ari comes out with her head down. "Nothing fit her..."

"Would you like to borrow my jacket?" Oscar unfolds his cardigan beside him. "My wife got it from⁠—"

"Oh, no that's okay. Thanks," Celia hugs herself and I narrow my eyes at her discomfort. Something about her sometimes makes me feel like she's not as bold as she pretends to be.

"Let's go," I sigh, getting up. "You'll pick something from my closet."

"I'm fine," she says as I walk past her down the hallway.

I open my door and go in, knowing she'll follow shortly behind. Luna meows from my pillow and I bend to rub her belly, giving her the attention she wants.

"Gio, I don't need your jacket, I'm fine," Celia says and I turn to see her leaning on my doorframe, arms crossed and one ankle over the other. Trying so hard to be casual, huh.

Covering my smirk, I walk over to my closet and slide the door, grimacing internally at the lack of colors and appealing options.

"Uh... I didn't think this through," I mutter, staring at my clothes as if a fairy-godmother might appear at any second and transform it. Is that too much to ask for? I got to stop watching cartoons.

Celia appears beside me, her presence immediately making me hyper aware.

The heat seeping from her small frame, the subtle fragrance from her shampoo.