#21 - stay (D.M)

house-ravenclaw
blood-pureblood
year-6th
notes: can we appreciate all the stuff about stars was from my own knowledge, i love stars hence the recurring theme of star gazing ajhsjahs
3/8/21

being the stereotypical ravenclaw i spent most of my free time studying in the library, after going most nights for the past six years i knew every regular attendee by name, i didnt have to sign in and out and i even had my own seat and my own table. it was right at the back of library close to a large window, the seat wasnt mine as such but there was a certain type of people who came to library and they were kind people who wouldnt want to tell me to move.

i walked into the library one particular evening, it was raining with occasional rumble of thunder, my favourite type of weather. the library was dimly light, not cold or eerie rather warm and welcoming. i made my way to my table my book already in hand, i smiled at the familiar faces, most of them ravenclaws and a couple hufflepuffs. however there was one face that i was not expecting to see in the library. draco malfoy. he was sat in my seat. although he wasnt reading or studying, he was just staring at the table looking as if he had alot of his mind. "sorry am i in your spot?" he said scrambling to his feet finally noticing i was stood looking at him, "no its fine really, stay" i smiled as i went to find another seat "Y/N" he said, i turned to face him. he had started to look very ill recently, very pale, with a constant expression of worry on his face. he was always deep in thought, i often caught myself wondering what he was thinking about that caused him to look like he was in so much pain. "stay" he said, so i did, i took a seat beside him.

we both sat in silence for a while, draco continued to stare at his hands as i read my book "draco, can i ask you something" i said, he seemed slightly startled when i said his name. i was concerned for draco, the old him would have made some remark about my house or that im a 'know it all' and would have sent me out the library crying however he didnt, he asked me stay, he wanted my company, clearly not to speak to as he hadnt said a word to me since i sat down 15 minutes ago. i theorised he felt alone, whatever he was experiencing made him feel lonely and he wanted someone by his side, the feeling of someone there. he didnt want to speak to anyone, he probably figured a ravenclaw submerged in a book wouldnt make a peep, but he wanted the feeling of someone being by his side. "what are you thinking about?" i asked "a few things" he replied not looking at me, "i can tell theres a lot on your mind" i said placing my book on the table "really?" he said looking at me, i nodded "i can see it in your eyes" i said looking between them "theres a lot going on isnt there" i said, he nodded while looking back at his hands. i decided not to push for more answers as i continued my book.

we contiued to sit in silence, we shared a few glances and he gave me a slight smile, that gave me hope. i stood up to get a new book, draco looked at me with fear in is eyes, i dont know if i scared him with my sudden movement or if he didnt want me to go "im just getting a new book" i spoke, he nodded slightly and went back to his thoughts. after searching for a while i picked out a book of stars and constellations, stars fascinated me but i didnt know any of there names, i knew one constellation however, draco. i walked back to my table, dracos eyes immediatly snapped up, unlike before when he hadnt noticed my presence, now it seemed like he was waiting for me. i returned to my seat and began to read, "your lucky to have a constellation named after you" i spoke his eyes met mine "you like astronomy?" he asked, he seemed almost excited "i do, however i dont know many names, hence the book" i said holding it up, he took the book from my hands to read the title, he chuckled "i borrowed this book from the library in my second year, it was wednesday to be exact, the 3rd of april" he spoke "you have an astounding memory draco" i said looking at him in disbelief. he stood up and walked over to the large window, the storm had cleared by now and the sky was filled with millions of stars. as soon as draco layed his eyes on them his face softed, it seemed as if they managed to take his thoughts away. "i tend to remember stuff that makes me happy" he said still looking at the stars "for instance, 3rd year we were made to be partners in divination, i hated that class, you were the only person in there i liked, you made a comment about my rings, it was the 23rd of february, i dont know if you remember but i told you to be quiet" he said "i remember" i replied standing up and walking over to him. "i regret how i spoke to you that day, you gave me a compliment and i was rude, im sorry" he said now looking at me instead of the stars, "its okay draco, whats done is done".

we both stood for while looking at the stars "you see that big bright one there?" he said pointing "thats sirius , its one of the brightest stars, sirius and the one next to it called mirzam are both part of the constellation 'canis major', that one above it is procyon and that one next to it is gomeisa they're both part of the constellation 'canis minor' an- sorry just stop me when i start to ramble" he said "please draco, go on its interesting" he smiled, a genuine smile, it was great to see him happy, he had been sad and miserable staring at his fingers for the past hour, immersed in his own polluted thoughts all night, now he was happy. he continued "those three stars in a row are known orions belt however theyre actually the middle part of the constellation orion which looks like a man holding a bow". we sat for the next two hours talking, he went on teaching me about all the different stars and his favourite constellations with a huge smile on his face, it was the most id heard him talk for the past 6 years he promised hed take me to the astronomy tower one night as there was better view from there. it was so nice to see him be so passionate about something, to have a genuine interest. i felt like i saw a different side of draco, not the old evil cocky 3rd year who made me cry or the now broken and distant 6th year who was skipping class, i saw draco, just draco. and i prefered this draco a lot more.