29

Photo

I sipped on my wine while staring blankly on the wing of this Lufthansa Airbus A319. In just a few hours, it will land at Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport. 

Three months after my parentsʼ funeral, I decided to entertain myself so that I wouldn’t feel too emotional about losing them. I limit myself remembering what happened. I thought I could. But I can't.

It may not be visible in my facade but when someone dares to break out of my soul, he'll find out what I'm going through. It’s hard to pretend you’re okay. Even if you know you are already crushed.

The death of our parents is our greatest  downfall. Especially when they're already gone without seeing us, successful and able to pay back their hard work for us. 

Heart-breaking. Soul-destroying. Weakness.

When my debut was held, I chose to invite only relatives and cousins. I didn't really feel the spirit of my birthday because the death of my parents and brother was still fresh in my mind.

If there’s one thing I can remember about my eighteenth birthday, it’s when I danced to my dad’s picture frame. 

“Flight attendants, prepare for take-off please.” the Captain announced over the intercom after almost an hour. 

The flight attendants then invited the passengers to release our seatbelts when the plane successfully landed in the airport. “Ladies and gentlemen, the Captain has turned off the Fasten and Seatbelts sign. You may now move around the cabin.” 

I immediately saw Tito Ace and Tito Siegfried as I exited the airport. They both waved at me so I waved back as well. Tito Ace took a suitcase I was carrying as I approached them.

Tito Siegfried kissed my forehead. "Welcome back, baby." He welcomed me. 

Tito Ace, on the other hand, embraced me and then kissed my hair. "How's your flight?" 

I chuckled. “It was fun. Germany is so lit. I'll show you more photos later.” 

As I had planned, I was here in Spain to continue my studies. I am three months enrolled in Qualityfly, a flight school, here in Madrid. And Germany was my first ever flight experience since I studied at Qualityfly. 

Tito Ace opened the door of the Lamborghini Aventador for me when we came to the vehicle. I thought the one who would come after me was just a bodyguard. I didn't expect my uncles.

"Glad you like your new school, Thrana." Halfway through our drive back to La Galliene Village, Tito Siegfried spoke. 

“So far, yes. Other aspiring flight attendants, even the pilots, were kind. One of a kind," I grinned. 

Troy's face accidentally came to my mind so I was stunned. I would be lying if I said I don’t miss him. But when I remember the last time I saw him with Lucille, I was depressed. It's been three months without communication. How do I know if Lucille is his girlfriend? 

“What made you frowned, our heiress?” Tito Ace smiled.

I smiled sparingly. "Something ... just remembered."

"Alviejo." Tito Ace and Tito Siegfried spoke at the same time. 

One word but managed to pound my chest. I really miss him. He’s the person I expect to stay by my side when I have a problem. But he didn’t. "I don't want to talk about him ... Lo siento." I replied coldly, avoiding looking at them. 

Yes, I miss him. But I shouldn’t prioritize what I feel for him. Until now, the people behind the ambush in the Philippines have not been identified. But I had a lot of confidence in the organization my daddy used to belong to. I feel we will soon identify the culprit.