30

Illusion 

“Admit it. The person you were years ago was not the same now, Thrana. ” As we sat on the park bench, Zarfa, my friend who was a flight attendant at Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suárez Airport, spoke. 

I smiled at her before shaking my head a bit. I watched the couple dating here in the park. "I just see things differently now." I said.

She scoffs. “Really, huh? Look at you, you've changed a lot.” 

For the past three years, I have preferred to understand myself more than anything else. I never thought of anyone else. And over the past three years, I’ve met new friends that I can lean on in addition to my cousins. Zarfa Enlarez. 

We met at Qualityfly while I was studying. Raia and Adena returned to the Philippines for a vacation. They wanted to include me but I did not agree. I do not want to. So from then on, Zarfa was the only one I always had with me. 

"The guy you told me before ... Do you want to see him again?" She asked carefully. "I mean is there a chance for you to be with him ... again?" 

I shrugged my shoulders, sighed. “I’m too bright to lighten his dull world. So maybe ... no. ” He was happy that maybe he's with Lucille. I don’t want to ruin a relationship. 

She smiled sparingly after staring at me. “I doubt it. Your eyes are lying.” 

I grinned. “I won’t force you to believe me, Zarfa. I'll prove it. ”

We were going to have a long air trip tomorrow so I chose to stay all day in my room to relax. I was about to lie down on my bed when Aunt Elle, Tito Dall's wife, suddenly entered.

A smile flashed on my lips when I saw the bowl she was carrying with just freshly baked cupcakes. 

"Hi," she greeted as the bowl landed on the center table of my sofa set. 

From my sitting on the bed, I approached her for an embrace. "Hi aunt." 

She is one of my favorites when it comes to cooking. She's great. Our taste and expectations in our family’s food, she reached so we were thrilled. Tito Dall's lucky to have her in his life. 

“I baked these cookies for you. Hope you like it,” she said softly. 

I looked at the cookies. Even though I haven't tasted it yet, I'm enjoying it, it's just the smell. “I owe you this, tita. Of course, I'll like it! ” 

Her eyes then became critical as she stared at my face. She had a smile on her face but I knew she was sad, too. I just didn’t pay attention anymore. 

“Do you want to go back to the Philippines and search for him, Thrana?” In the end, she also couldn’t stop herself from asking questions. 

I smiled bitterly before shaking my head. “I'm happy here, aunt. I don't want to go back there.” I might just break again. I restrained myself from being emotional. 

"I know you're still ... in love with Alviejo." I bit my lip and looked down at the floor. 

I shook my head again. “I no longer have feelings for that person. I don't want to see him anymore.” Contrary to my inner answer. 

And I just found out that Aunt Elle hugged me. She rubbed my back to soothe my insides. I refrained from shedding tears in these moments. 

“You always choose where you are happy. Don't let that ... doubt lead you. You are in control of your life. May you never regret the things you were able to go back and change when you chose to walk away and forget it. You won't be happy if you don't choose that in the first place.”