6 ~ my body is a temple

"When my mind is uncertain, my body decides"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben decided to prepare the outside of his house for Jezalyn's return. He wanted to make sure she'd feel safe and relaxed, since it had been such a rough day.

He prepared some snacks and carefully lined them on a tray for her, smiling at the thought of Jez's own smile... her genuine one. Not the one he had seen for years before. But the one he saw today, when her dimples showed and her eyes crinkled with joy.

I can't believe I let Carlos stand in the way of befriending the most beautiful person I've ever met. Seriously, she is stunning.

Ben briefly remembered his girlfriend, Shira. She was gorgeous on the outside, and super hot too. But, Jezalyn was gorgeous on the inside too. And had her own money to spend. And was also right next door. He was standing in the back yard, thinking about his current situation before he was interrupted by the sound of his front door opening and shutting.

~

TW// brief allusion to self harm scars

~

Jezalyn raced back to Ben's house with a black bikini and a long tank top on top. She had thrown on a pair of swim shorts as well, to avoid any awkward discussions of her thighs.

Now chill, Jez. This is your chance to make a friend, please don't blow it.

She opened the front door and immediately walked outside to the pool, where Ben had set up a table full of snacks.

There were strawberries, grapes, and various types of crackers lining the platters. Jezalyn beamed at the boy, who had changed into a tank top and some swim trunks.

"I like the way your mind works," Jez exclaimed while gesturing to the food, which caused Ben to blush and chuckle.

"Today was a lot," he paused before meeting her eye-line, "and you deserve the extra effort." He gave her a small smile as she felt her face heat up slightly.

Before she knew what was going on, she had her arms wrapped around his neck and her face in his shoulder. He smelled like a mixture of sunscreen and Old Spice deodorant, which Jez didn't mind. In fact, she enjoyed it.

Ben had wrapped his arms around her waist softly, still confused by what was going on, but definitely not objecting. The two separated, both of their hearts racing as their faces flushed red.

"S-sorry about that. I've never really had a good friend before, but I knew I wanted to hug you. I hope that was okay." Jez darted her eyes around nervously while Ben cracked a pained smile at the words 'good friend.'

But Ben was okay with being a friend to her, because being anything to Jez was a dream. He knew he already cared for the girl, but being her friend? That's the best outcome he could've dreamed of.

He had noticed she was wearing shorts to swim, but he just smiled. He was glad she was comfortable, and wasn't trying to change that. She seemed to be happy actually.

"You know, I am a good friend. I'm such a good friend, I'm going to let you get a head start." He looked at her with wild eyes and smiled.

Jez read his mind, and started slowly backing away, getting ready to dash around the backyard. He took a step towards her and she bolted, running around in circles while he followed her, both giggling the entire time.

The girl made a mistake when she slowed down and turned towards him while he was still chasing her.

Her eyes widened and before she knew it, he had knocked her over and landed on top of her.

They would've probably both been very awkward and embarrassed if they weren't too busy laughing. Ben rolled to the girl's side and they tried to catch their breath, stealing glances at each other every so often.

Their hands rested right next to one another, nearly touching. Ben wasn't sure if Jezalyn had noticed, but he sure did. It's what prompted him to stand up and immediately dive into the pool, splashing water on Jez while she was still sprawled out.

"Oh my god Benjamin! You're so dead!" She yelled as she jumped in after him, splashing water in his face before letting out a loud cackle at his reaction.

He smiled.

She beamed back.

The two spent the rest of the day swimming and laying outside by the pool. Jezalyn did her best to keep her distance, but she felt closer to Ben (and herself) than she had felt to anyone in years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Sorry it's been a while! I'm on vacation! I also think I'm going to try and update once or twice a week so I can make the chapters a bit longer!! Thanks for reading and supporting! Vote and comment <3