10 ~ a party

"without you, there's no reason for my story" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Still nothing?" Ben asked while he nudged Jezalyn's shoulder as he caught up to her in the hallway. 

"Nada," the girl shrugged, her writing notebook resting in the nook of her elbow, "I've been trying, I stayed at the coffee shop until closing after you left! I've got maybe a chorus, but that's all. I don't know why I'm even bothering at this point." Jezalyn let her head fall as the two approached her locker. 

"Hey," Ben lightly ran his fingers down her arm, lingering at her hand, "you can't give up. You yourself said that you need to write a song, so you know you still can. And I'm not going to let you give up on yourself, that's for sure." 

Jez couldn't help but blush at his touch, lifting her head to meet his eyeliner. She noticed the way that his eyes had flicked from her eyes to her lips, but decided to repress that memory. 

He still has a girlfriend, Jez. And you are in no way ready to date your own best frie- Is Ben my best friend?  

Her thoughts are interrupted by the sound of heals clicking on the floor and the voice of a gold digger. "Hiiii Benny. I want this dress for the party tonight," Shira presses her cheek against Ben's own and whispers into his ear, "pretty please?" 

Ben's eyes closed, clearly uncomfortable with the affection and with how visible the interaction was. He sighed and pulled his arm around Shira's waist. "Of course babe, what else are boyfriends for?" He muttered with a nervous tone, glancing back up at Jezalyn. 

I wish I could understand what was going on in her head. Yeah, we hang out all the time, but I always feel like there's something she isn't telling me. Or, maybe I'm just wishfully thinking, That's probably it, right? 

"Thanks babe! I'll see you tonight. Don't pick me up, Zoe's giving me a ride." The girl spun around on her heels and headed back to her friends with her head down facing her phone. 

After a minute of silence, Ben asks "So, are you going to the party?" 

Jez froze. Sure, she knew about the party. She also knew that all the people she was actively trying to avoid seeing would be at said party. 

"I'm not really sure. I don't think I technically got invited?" 

Ben chuckled, "Please, I got a pity invited because of Shira. I'm sure if you showed up, nobody would really care." Jez widened her eyes and pushed him aside lightly as she shut her locker. 

"S-sorry that isn't what I meant! Just, you should come..." his voice trails as he gives her a sympathetic look. 

She smiled softly and starts walking, gesturing for him to follow her. He matched her stride and walked beside her as she spoke, "I know you didn't mean anything by that. I'm sure if I did show up, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But, I know my brother will be there. I know Paxton will be there. And hell, the party is at Trent's place! At school, I can at least study or just walk away. A party? Kind of intense, honestly." 

"I will think about it, but I can't promise anything, alright?" She stopped in front of her next class and gave Ben a small wave.