11 ~ i'll try...

"So why don't you fly with me"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Carlos... hi." Jezalyn said warily, avoiding her brother's gaze.

"What are you doing here? Did you come alone, or are you still hanging out with that loser?" He searched her face for a response and frowned when she remained silent.

"Look, Jez... I want to apologize. We haven't really talked much the last few days and I really miss you."

She looked to her brother's face and found sincerity, he did seem like he was genuinely sorry. But, she wasn't that dumb. "Well, if you really missed me, maybe you would've actually said something to me earlier? After I embarrassed myself in front of the entire school?"

Jezalyn kept her voice down to avoid attention, but she could see from the corner of her eye that some heads were turning towards them. Then, Jez pulled Carlos' sleeve as he followed her outside, which was a little less crowded.

"Look, Carlos. I love you, you're my big brother and of course it's been the worst not being able to talk to you. But, you also did this to yourself! You make fun of the people that actually want to be my friend. You try to make all my decisions for me. I understand that you're protective..." she nods and places her hand on his shoulder, "but that doesn't mean that I should lose all agency. I should be free to make my own choices, Carlos. And I want you to respect that."

Carlos' eyes reached the grass but before he could answer, the two are interrupted by a drunk girl, by the name of Devi, trying to talk to a coyote that had decided to visit the party.

"D-Devi be careful," Jez shouted after the girl before covering her mouth, realizing she may have just disturbed the coyote.

Devi, on the other hand, didn't really hear anyone. She just wanted to talk to her dad. So, naturally, she got a bit too close to the coyote and ended up getting bitten.

~

Jezalyn was still utterly pissed at Ben. Now, she was even more pissed off since this coyote mess could've been avoided if Ben hadn't been such a dick towards Devi.

Since she felt partially responsible, Jez tagged along with Paxton and Devi to the hospital. Did Devi mind? Yes, she scowled at Jez every chance she got.

At one point, Paxton left the room to search for something to eat. Devi slapped Jezalyn's arm and turned to her.

"Dude, what are you still doing here? I am totally fine and Paxton is looking totally fine! This could be the real start to our love story, can you leave, please?" Devi let her puppy dog eyes do the rest of the begging which caused Jez to smile slightly.

"Listen, I'd love to leave, really. But the only other options I have to call are my brother and Ben. Both of which I'm not exactly happy with at the moment, and Paxton offered me a ride home. But, I will get out of your room." She started to walk away before Devi shouted,

"Wait, Jezalyn!"

"Yes?" She peered at the girl over her shoulder.

"Thank you for coming, I really mean that." Devi smiled at her and Jez felt a smile creep up on her face immediately.

"Of course, I'm really glad you're okay."

As if on queue, as Jezalyn left, Paxton entered the room. Jez could've easily listened in on the conversation. But instead, she decided to take a few laps around the hospital halls.

~

After Devi's mom, Nalini, had arrived, Paxton and Jezalyn made their way out. The two were silent the first few minutes of the car ride. They hadn't spoken since the day of Jezalyn's outburst, and Jez was anxious about the entire situation.

"Y'know... you could've talked to me. If you were feeling that way. I'm a, decent listener, I like to think. At least Becca says I am." He started, his eyes shifting between Jez's face and the road.

She felt her jaw tighten and peered down at her feet, feeling a bit ashamed. I mean, he was right. He was a good listener. But she was afraid. So she kept the real her hidden.

"I mean, I knew you were a dork when I first met you. It's not like super cool people are super into musicals." He chuckled and she couldn't help but smile.

"Look, Paxton I'm sorry. It wasn't fair to you or Trent or any of the guys that I just kind of ghosted... it's just- Carlos."

"You don't think I know that? I love your brother but damn is he a piece of work. But more importantly, he hasn't been the same since you went off on him. Even if you don't forgive him, you should try to hear him out, for me?" As he parked in front of the Gomez house, he shot her a round of puppy dog eyes.

Guess I know where Devi learned that from.

"I'll... try. Fine, yes. Whatever." She smiled and rolled her eyes, stepping out of the car.

"Quick question though, Pax." He nodded and looked her way.

"Are you dating Devi Vishwakumar?"

"Why does it matter to you, huh?" He winked and chuckled as my face heated up.

"I-it really doesn't. But I like Devi, and I don't want her to get hurt."

"Won't be an issue, I swear." He paused as she started to walk away. "Wait, Jez!"

"Yes?" She twirled around and rested her head on her hands. She was feeling the exhaustion set in.

With a grin, Paxton asked "Are you dating Ben Gross?"

Jezalyn tried to hide the blush that fell across her face when Paxton mentioned his name. She failed.

"He's still dating Shira. He's just a friend." She replied shortly before continuing towards her front door. Just a few. More. Steps.

"Yeah... just a friend. See you around, Jez." Paxton shouted before he sped off into the night.

Jezalyn groaned quietly as she walked into her house quietly. She had turned her phone on silent to make sure Devi was okay. Instead of being met with silence and a comfortable bed, she walked through the door to see Ben, passed out at the foot of her bed.

"Ay diós mio" She muttered as her face fell into her palms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love these idiots so much!! Paxton being a good friend <33 also Jez slightly befriending Devi and defending her is absolutely so soft. I love them sm!! Comment and vote <33 the song link will be attached at a later date sorry!!!