8 ~ the past

TW// SELF HARM MENTION AND DESCRIPTION

In this chapter, Jezalyn reveals her past to Ben. If you skip this chapter you will NOT miss anything storywise. Please be safe and think of your own mental health before reading. Much love!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And she said
"If you were me, you'd do the same
'Cause I can't take anymore
I'll draw the shades and close the door
Everything's not alright and I would rather"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Can I play you a song?" the girl asked as she plopped onto Ben's wrinkled silk sheets. The boy nodded, taking a seat next to her with a confused look on his face.

Jezalyn took a deep breath in, setting up the instrumental to the song on her phone before she began to sing. Ben listened attentively, recognizing vague lines here and there, but mainly mesmerized by the girl in front of him.

*Hold on Till May Instrumental*

He couldn't believe so much pain yet so much power was coming from this sweet, gorgeous, brilliant girl. This was the moment that Ben knew would change his life forever. His thoughts melted away as her melodic voice carried through the room, echoing throughout the large, empty home.

Jezalyn lifted her chin and opened her eyes, searching Ben's face for any kind of response. She had never sung that song in front of anyone. She didn't want anyone, besides her own family, to know the pain she was carrying.

But, when it came to Ben, she felt- safe. She wanted him to know everything because she finally felt as if she could come to trust another person, another man. And though it may not have been who she thought it was going to be, she sure knew she wasn't going to regret her decision.

~

Ben reached for Jezalyn's hand, still speechless after her performance. "Th-that was- beautiful, honestly." He stared into her eyes, noticing the reflection of the moon and stars that sparkled back at him. "I had no idea you were ever feeling that way." Ben's voice slowly fades, shifting uncomfortably and retreating his hand back to his side.

Jezalyn her body tense. That wasn't exactly the response that she was expecting, nor that she really wanted. She inhaled deeply and turned towards Ben, locking her eyes onto his.

"I want to tell you something. This is something I haven't shared with anyone. But it's something I think that people should know before they start to try and befriend me, okay?" She searched his face nervously for signs of resistance but was met with the opposite. Ben sat up straight and nodded his head, "I'm ready whenever you are, no matter what."

Jezalyn inhaled one huge breath before allowing herself to endlessly explain everything. She told him about ____ and the way that he used her. About how Carlos never let anyone near her because of that. About how her only female friend was the girl she found in her mirror, much different than she remembered. She told him, with a shaky voice, about her scars.

She bit her lip and retreated into the blankets on Ben's bed when she was done, terrified of what she may have just unleashed. Ben sat there, stunned, trying to process the information Jezalyn had just revealed.

"S-sorry. I just, I don't really know how to do this whole friendship thing. But, I figured it would be better to tell you all this myself. And I uh," she paused, glancing at the ceiling. "I was kind of hoping you would stick around. In my life. At least for a few more days... or years... or whatever." She laughed, feeling her face flush as she dove deeper into the sheets.

Ben looked at her, examining her flushed face, awkward posture, and messy hair. She was perfect. But, more importantly, she was real. Jezalyn Gomez was sat in front of Ben Gross, in his own bed, terrified of the silence surrounding the two. Ben resisted every urge he had to lean down and kiss the girl. Instead, he reached out his hand, prompting her to sit up, and hugged her.

"You matter. Thank you for telling me, Jez." He whispered into their embrace, his arms pulling her in around her neck while her hands rested around his waist.

If I wasn't so distracted, I think I'd be crying right now.

I feel so...

safe.