3 ~ give it a shot

Jezalyn Gomez wasn't afraid of many things. After years of feeling lost in who she was, Jezalyn was really only scared of one thing; being used. After her experience with Matthew, she was afraid that any guy she trusted would do the same he did. Ben was proving her wrong, but that doesn't mean she trusts easily. She's still wary, but hopelessly desperate to find a place she could fit in. 

Jez pulled up to Devi's house a little later than everyone else. She was busy hyping herself up in the mirror, trying to remind herself that she can't fail a human interaction. 

After removing her shoes and greeting Devi's family members kindly, she quickly went upstairs to meet the rest of the girls in Devi's room. 

"Jez! You made it!" Devi perked up when the girl entered the room. 

"Yeah of course! Sorry I'm like a little late though, traffic was rough." She nodded, knowing full well she was a horrible liar. 

"Well, Jezalyn," Eleanor started, "you're just in time to help us sneak out! We're going to meet Malcom at the park!" 

"Ay dios mio, wait, Fabiola isn't here?" Jez asked. She was kind of hoping she could talk to her. Jez had no friends, but she especially wanted queer ones. 

"Nope, and we're going with or without you!" Eleanor taunted. Aneesa laughed a little nervously, but Devi wore a nice confident smirk. It was almost believable. 

                                                                                     ~

When the girls arrived, Malcom is surrounded by a small posse. One of which, Jezalyn was genuinely surprised to see. 

"Ben? What the hell are you doing here?" The girl stared dumbfounded at her boyfriend. 

"Am I not allowed to have friends too?" He joked, playfully nudging her. She smiled at his touch. She was originally excited for girls night, but she had to be honest with herself; having her boyfriend around made her feel at ease. 

"Though," Ben started, "I don't entirely love the idea of you being friends with 'Crazy' Devi over there," he gestured towards the girl who was standing right next to her. 

"I'm not crazy! Look, Paxton and I are chill. Carlos probably talked all about it to Jez already, she knows I'm cool." Devi retorted as she pushed Ben away and threw her arm around Jez. 

"You don't know the first thing about Jez OR her relationship with her brother, David. Also, you brought up Paxton for no reason. Unless..." Ben scanned Devi's eyes as if looking for an answer. He then pulled his girlfriend's arm gently, away from Devi. 

"Jez... this girl is up to no good. I don't trust her." 

"Ben, why would you even say that?" Jez lowered her voice to almost a whisper. Ben could feel himself hesitate, knowing he didn't want to upset her. 

"She's just using you to get to Paxton. She knows your brother is one of his friends and thinks that she can just get right back into his life if she's brought into it." Ben responded while holding her hand, as if to soften the blow. 

"Ben, that's not true. Devi isn't an evil person, she's just another girl from school. Please don't involve me in the rivalry you guys used to have. I'm just trying to make friends!" Jez responds, her voice shaking. She hated fighting. She hated arguing, too. 

"Yeah, Ben! Devi is cooler than that. And also, who wouldn't want to be Jezalyn's friend?" Aneesa pipes in with a smile. "I heard you play guitar and sing too, that's so cool dude!" 

Devi looked a bit guilty, but Jezalyn didn't really understand why. She was hoping it didn't have to do with the fact Ben was right, but honestly? Jez was kind of miserable now. She just wanted the night to end. 

Then, 

They ended up at a tattoo and piercing shop. Ben joked about getting a tattoo but didn't go through with it. Jez eyed a belly button piercing and thought very carefully about the consequences while Devi pierced her nose. 

I mean... unless I wear a crop nobody will notice... right?

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello beautiful people!! this is a short chapter sorry!! I hope you enjoyed my angst building! I'm trying to figure out minor stakes and also i will be using sensitive topics soon (especially as i build aneesa and jez's friendship! it /will/ be trauma related) but i will use tw or cw! thank u for votes and reading!!! also do yall think devi is using jez?? lemme know theories!! <3 

ps work will be swamping me but I'm trying to update once a week regardless!! <3