17 ~ the song

Ben's house was filled with classmates who barely knew his name, and a few who always said it with disgust.

He had barely made an appearance, he was too busy waiting for one girl...

~

Jezalyn, who was standing in her living room, picked up her guitar case and slung it over her shoulder, letting it rest on top of her leather jacket. She looked into the mirror, noticing her blushing cheeks and small grin.

This was the night that was going to change everything.

Her and Carlos headed over the Ben's, Carlos snickering about how overdressed she was. She didn't care.

Tonight was about giving Ben the song she'd been writing because of him. About him. For him.

~

I love you. I think I've always loved you. But honestly? I'm in love with you now, Jezalyn. Ben was speaking to himself in the mirror of his restroom, splashing water on his face as he tried to calm his nerves.

He didn't care about all of these people in his house. I mean, for ego reasons, he did care. But as long as Jezalyn showed up, he was going to be happy.

KNOCK KNOCK

Ben turned his head at the sudden movement before opening the door, finding Carlos on the other side.

"Dude, don't mess this up, okay?"

Ben's eyebrows furrowed at this statement.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I just started to tolerate you. Please don't fuck up with my sister... she deserves the world."

Ben nodded, assuring Carlos nothing could ever come between him and Jezalyn.

Just as their conversation finished, and Ben headed downstairs, Jez walked through the entrance.

~

She had her guitar case over her shoulder and some crumpled papers in her right hand.

Ben approached the girl slowly in an attempt to pretend that he wasn't waiting for her the entire time. (It didn't really work- he's not subtle).

The girl leaned in for a very awkward and gentle hug, her guitar case preventing her from fully embracing the boy.

"Is there uh, somewhere we can maybe go to talk? I mean, I know there is. There's like 20 rooms in this place." She chuckled nervously, pushing her hair behind her ear.

"Right this way," he smiled, leading the two towards his movie theater room.

~

"Okay, so what is with the guitar?" Ben asked curiously, looking into Jezalyn's eyes.

"This," she gestured to her guitar as she takes it out of its case, "is your birthday gift, you idiot."

Ben raised his eyebrows, shocked. He knew she had been trying to write a song, he knew that they had spent a lot of time together while she was trying to write it, but for some reason; he never thought it would be about him.

Maybe because it was never about him? I mean, his parents loved him but they were terrible parents. They think that having money is enough to keep a boy happy, when all he really wants are parents who spend time with him.

And yeah, he hated Jezalyn before. Or, he hated what he thought he knew about her. Before he knew that her family was just as dysfunctional as his. Before he realized Carlos was the reason they could never speak. Before he fell in love with her.

Jezalyn smiled at Ben, pecking his cheek quickly before turning to her crumpled music sheets and pulling her guitar to her lap.

"Happy birthday, Ben."

~

"Give me your misery
All of it give it to me
I can hold onto it for you
It's not a problem

I just want your energy
A piece of that fractured mountain
I'll take whatever comes with it as long as it's yours

All I know is that I want it more than yesterday
If I was waiting, I was waiting for just one little spark

You are the brightest I've seen
You are the best side of me
And just for when we're apart
I've got a piece of your heart

But I want the whole damn thing
I feel it inside of me
I feel it inside of you too
Seeing forever this downcast blade from the sky

Could never sever through
Not what we have me and you
Burning together and burning forever

I don't know, I just can feel it in the atmosphere
If I'm wandering, I've wandered into just the right spot

You are the fire in my sleep
You are the reason that I dream
And just for when we're apart
I've got a piece of your heart

But I want the whole damn thing
Say hello to all my problems for me
Tell them sorry, I can't be around anymore

The years will go on
We'll get older and then we'll die
But we'll get by

And it goes on
Forever just like this

If I could go back
I'd do it all over with you again

I've got a piece of your heart
But I want the whole damn thing
Say hello to all my problems for me
Tell them sorry, I can't be around anymore
Years will go on
We'll get older and then we'll die
But we'll get by"

~

Ben wiped a tear from his cheek, staring at the girl he loved. She didn't know how much he needed to hear her beautiful voice, let alone singing a song that she wrote about him.

Jezalyn nervously glanced at Ben, trying to read his face. I mean, she spent all this time writing a song for him, what if he hated it?

She took her guitar off of her lap and set it to the side, facing the boy instead.

"So, how did you like-"

Ben interrupts her by placing his mouth on hers, a gentle yet passionate kiss. Though she was a little shocked, Jez eagerly kissed back, flashes of the night in the car rolling back. But tonight's make out session was different, because both of them knew how the other one felt, finally.

Finally.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI!!! So this is the last chapter of season 1!!! Yay!!!! I didn't write it into the story but as an FYI, Jezalyn and Ben both drove Devi to Malibu so there was no kissing in the car for them.

Thank you all for reading!!! And for your patience. I'll be starting a plot for season 2 pretty soon in this same book so keep checking!! Once again vote and comment, I appreciate all of you so much amores.

- winds