46

september 2015
houston tx

Awsten does go back to Ashley's apartment when she returns.

He tells his family that he's going to the store, which isn't entirely a lie, because he does stop off there first.

Ashley told him specifically not to get her anything for her birthday. That's why his parents have resorted to taking her out instead, but now he doesn't have that option.

She won't be too mad if he just gets her some flowers and chocolate, right?

Awsten stands in front of the flower display for a long time, pondering over which bouquet is the prettiest— or if this is even a good idea.

He was told not to buy anything for Ashley's birthday in the first place, and now he's wondering if flowers are the wrong sort of gift.

Flowers are something you get your girlfriend. She's not his girlfriend. He doesn't want to set out the wrong impression— especially before they've talked about last night.

Eventually, Awsten decides on a bunch of pink and red flowers, displayed in a pretty arrangement, and wrapped with pink paper.

He moves onto looking for chocolate. She's always said that American chocolate is nowhere near as good as the chocolate she's get at home, but he knows they have a 'foods of the world' section at the store, so he's hoping to try his luck there.

He finds a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, unsure of whether it'll be the same as the one Ashley talks about— but he's been out for an hour now, and he just wants to see her already.

Once Awsten's finished up, he drives to Ashley's complex; the bouquet of flowers are sat on the passenger's seat, along with the chocolate, while he anxiously rubs his thumb along the steering wheel as he drives.

He hopes she isn't too mad that he got her something. It's not a lot, and he could've gone much more overboard— but he didn't.

When he parks up, he pulls out his phone to send Ashley a text.

awsten🌀
I'm here, just parked up so
I'll be on my way up in a minute

🐚
okay! i'll unlock the door for you

Awsten smiles as he gets out of the car, making his way up to Ashley's floor with the flowers held tightly in his grasp.

He knocks on the door, listening closely for Ashley's footsteps coming from inside.

"I said I unlocked the door for you, you didn't need to knock—" She rolls her eyes, lightheartedly, as she pulls the door open, before cutting herself off when she looks down at Awsten's hands. "Who are those for?" Ashley asks, pointing to the flowers.

"Oh, for your neighbour," Awsten retorts, sarcastically. "They're for you, idiot," he smiles. "And this," he holds the bar of chocolate out to her. "I don't know if it'll be the same as it was at home for you, but...It's the best I could find," Awsten shrugs, sheepishly.

Ashley looks speechless, as she continues to stare.

"Do you hate it?" Awsten questions, hesitantly. "I know you told me not to get you anything but you know that I hate that because it's your birthday and my parents are already taking you out later so I can't steal that idea," he brings to ramble. "Plus, I know it's not a lot but it's just a little something, because I didn't want you to actually kill me if I got you too much and you didn't want it, and—"