2

june 2013
houston tx

Mrs Knight serves dinner shortly before her husband leaves for his nightshift at work, and the remaining four decide to put on a movie.

"Who's turn is it to choose?" Awsten looks between everyone. "Mom?"

"Oh, no, I don't mind, dear," Ginny shakes her head, settling comfortably into her chair. "Let Ashley choose."

Awsten shifts his gaze to Ashley, raising his eyebrows.

"Ashley can choose on one condition," Gracie pipes in, seating herself on the couch. "We are not watching Finding Nemo again."

"Hey! What's wrong with Finding Nemo?" Ashley pouts, sitting upright from where she had been curled up in the corner of the sofa, causing Awsten to chuckle quietly at her expression.

"Yeah, I love Finding Nemo," he defends, earning an eye roll from his sister.

"We always watch Finding Nemo, or at least something sea-related," Grace retorts. "Pick something else."

"Does that mean it's a no to A Turtle's Tale?" Ashley asks, feeling like she already knows the answer.

Awsten shoots her a smile at the mention of the movie; they watched it for the first time together, and he remembers how excited Ashley was, since turtles are her favourite animal.

It's the whole reason her nickname came about; the female turtle in the movie is named Shelly, and Awsten— in a half-sleepy state —had mumbled a joke about how a-Shelly sounds like Ashley.

"Absolutely not A Turtle's Tale," Gracie replies, pulling her out of her thoughts. "We're not five."

"We weren't five when it came out," Awsten retorts.

"Whatever, just pick something," Gracie insists, impatiently.

Ashley pauses to think for a moment, before coming up with an answer. "Legally Blonde?"

"Yes!" Awsten shouts, immediately. "I fucking love Legally Blonde!"

"Awsten! Language," Mrs Knight scolds, earning a brief, mumbled apology.

"Gracie?" Ashley raises an eyebrow. "Legally Blonde okay with you?"

"Sure," she shrugs, seemingly unbothered.

"Nice," Awsten grins, putting the movie on quickly, before making his way over to Ashley excitedly, and she giggles at his eagerness. "Move up," he ushers.

"There's room the other side," Ashley points out.

"But I wanna sit on the end," Awsten insist. "Come on," he pleads, nudging her gently.

Eventually, Ashley gives in, shuffling up to allow Awsten to sit in the corner, where she had been.

"Better?" She raises her eyebrows as she turns to him.

"Much better, thanks," he shoots her a grin, shuffling comfortably, as their shoulders brush together once again.

They stay like that until the end of the movie, when Mrs Knight decides to head to bed; she says goodnight to everyone, before disappearing upstairs, and Awsten decides he wants to watch Legally Blonde 2.