51

december 2015
houston tx

The next day, Ashley does as she said she would, and brings Robbie over to the Knight's house.

He wears a smile on his face from the moment they step out of Ashley's car, and he follows her up to the porch.

She knocks on the door, while Robbie bounces excitedly on the door step.

"I'll get it!" Ashley hears Awsten's voice from inside, and takes a moment to prepare herself to see him opening the door.

"Awsten!" Robbie cheers, before the door is even fully opened.

"Hey, bud!" Awsten grins, as Robbie jumps into his arms. "Missed you," he mumbles, a little quieter, while he hugs him tightly.

"Missed you, too!" Robbie replies, proudly, which tells Ashley that Awsten had said that he missed him first, causing her expression to soften and Awsten's cheeks to turn a little pink as they make eye contact. "Did Ash tell you we're going on holiday for Christmas?" Robbie taps Awsten's arm repeatedly, as a way to regain his attention.

"Yeah, she did," Awsten responds, nodding, attempting to work up a more genuine smile at the topic. "Are you excited?"

"Yeah! Super excited," Robbie nods, eagerly. "Can you come?" He questions, tilting his head adorably.

"Uh, I don't think so, bud—"

"I think you should come," Robbie cuts him off. "Because then you could meet my cousin, Georgie. We could all play together. That would be so much fun. He'd like your hair a lot!" He rants, while Awsten can't help but feel a pang of guilt in his chest, for some reason; maybe it's just sadness creeping in, knowing that Ashley and Robbie won't be here for the holidays— knowing that they won't be coming over for hot chocolates and a movie on Christmas Eve, like they always do. "Ashley can stay with the baby. Our big cousin had a baby. Ashley loves babies, she acts like she doesn't, though. But, then every time someone has a baby, she always holds it. Ashley loves babies—" Robbie continues to ramble, barely stopping to take a breath, before Ashley finally cuts him off.

"Okay, now I know that those extra marshmallows in your hot chocolate were a bad idea," she lets out a nervous laugh, pretending not to notice the way Awsten's eyes are on her.

"Uh— d'you want some juice or anything?" He switches his attention back to Robbie. "Any snacks?"

"No, I wanna go to the park!" He begins bouncing up and down again.

"Robs, I told you," Ashley sighs, "Awsten probably doesn't want to go to the—"

"I'll go to the park," Awsten cuts her off.

"It's the first week of December, Awsten. It's freezing—"

"That doesn't matter," he dismisses, easily. "We've got coats."

"You don't have to—"

"I want to," Awsten reiterates, now holding her gaze, and it then becomes clear to Ashley that he's overcompensating for something. "It's not a problem, Shelly," he adds.

"Hey, I'll come, too!" Gracie chimes, earning an excited reaction from Robbie as he greets her.

"I'll get our coats," Awsten announces, his eyes lingering on Ashley for a moment before heading down the hall.