13

november 2014
houston, tx

Ashley is sat in the passenger seat of Jake's car, as they pull up outside the burger joint.

She runs her hands down the skirt of her dress before pushing her door open and climbing out of the car, as Jake does the same.

He takes her hand as they walk up to the entrance— just their hands clasped together,
rather than their fingers interlacing.

"So, this is like my favourite place," Jake grins.

"Yeah?" Ashley looks up at him, raising her eyebrows, attempting to work up an ounce of excitement.

"Definitely," he nods, confidently, entering through the doors. "Oh," Jake frowns, looking around.

"What?" Ashley follows his eyes, his tone not really helping the nerves that are already bubbling in her stomach.

"I didn't think it would be this busy," he mumbles.

"Did you not like, book a table?" Ashley inquires.

"No, I come here all the time," Jake shrugs.

When a host finally comes up to them, they offer a table, but warns that it'll be a twenty minute wait.

Jake agrees anyway, without feeling the need to consult Ashley, which earns a look of sympathy from the host, as they return to serving other customers.

The wait feels crippling, and it's starting to make sense as to Ashley why she hasn't been on a date before now, because she's quickly deciding that if they're all going to be like this, then she hates dates.

It feels disorganised and sloppy, but she wonders if that speaks more to Jake's character and standards than anything.

Ashley already wants to go home, and that's without letting herself think about having to sit and eat, opposite Jake.

When they're eventually seated at a table, it's in the middle of the restaurant, so they're surrounded by people.

At least Jake is having a good time, Ashley thinks, as she watches him grinning while flicking through the menu.

"I don't even know why I'm looking," he laughs, "I know what I get every time."

Ashley tries to offer him a smile, but she's sure it isn't very convincing— he doesn't notice, though.

After a few moments, a waitress comes over to serve them; Ashley is glad that she seems nice enough— pretty and petite with a welcoming demeanour.

Jake orders his meal and drink, sounding like it's the greasiest thing on the menu, before turning to Ashley.

"What are you having?" He inquires, leaning closer to her.

"Oh, uhm, I'm not— uh, not really sure," she mumbles. "Everything on here looks really...big," Ashley grimaces, really not enjoying the thought of eating at all right now.

"The only smaller dishes we have are on the kids menu," the waitress offers, thankfully in the least patronising way possible. "You could take a look at that," she hands her the menu, to which Ashley nods and take it.