10

september 2014
houston tx

Ashley likes having her birthday in September; it's not pique summer, meaning it's not too hot, but it's also not yet autumn, meaning it's still warm enough for everyone to be outside.

It's nice to be able to have a party outside, even if it's only with her fairly small circle, plus way too many of her mum and dad's friends.

Her dad has the barbecue going, while her mum refills the snacks table and people are constantly pulling Ashley in every direction, just to tell her how much she's grown up, have how they 'haven't seen her since she was like, this big.'

She manages to escape for a little while, just in time for the doorbell to ring.

"Oh my god, finally," Ashley grins, opening the door to find Gracie.

"Happy birthday," she tackles her best friend with a hug, as if they hadn't seen each other just a few hours ago.

When Gracie releases her, Mrs and Mrs Knight are waiting with a bag of presents.

"You really didn't have to get me anything," Ashley gives them a soft look, to which Ginny waves her off.

"Of course we did," she insists, hugging her tightly. "It's your birthday!"

"The big twenty one next," Roscoe comments with a smile.

"Ginny, Roscoe!" Ashley's mother speaks up, as she spots them in the hall.

"Jen! Lovely to see you," Ginny greets her first, before the two begin catching up, Roscoe following suit, as they head out to the garden.

Ashley takes a second to look around, unable to help the stab of disappointment that she feels in her chest.

"Where's Awsten?" She turns to Gracie, wearing a slight frown.

"Oh, he's coming," she assures her. "Don't worry," Gracie offers her a smile, causing Ashley to feel a little more relieved. "Is Jake here yet?" She smirks, changing the subject.

"No, not yet," Ashley shakes her head, rolling her eyes at her best friend's expression. "He was helping his dad out with something, but he's stopping by at some point," she explains. "And, will you cool it? You've already had your interrogation with him."

"You're no fun," Gracie rolls her eyes.

As if on cue, the doorbell rings again, and Ashley's first thought — or hope — is that it's Awsten arriving.

Instead, she opens the door to find her boyfriend, Jake.

"Oh, hey," Ashley looks taken aback. "I didn't think you'd be here yet," she says, as he steps inside.

"Convinced my dad to finish up early," he shrugs. "Happy birthday," Jake wraps his arms around her waist, lifting her off the ground slightly and squeezing her.

"Thank you," Ashley smiles, as he sets her down again.

Jake leans in to kiss her, which she accepts, meeting him halfway, feeling his grin against her.