7

june 2014
houston, tx

Ashley's next couple of days are filled with classes and studying, but at the end of week, her parents invite her over for dinner.

She takes the opportunity to call Awsten, to ask if he wanted to join her, like he said he would.

Of course, he agrees easily; not only because of what she'd said previously about her brother wanting to see him, but also because he knows that she might want some emotional support, just in case she gets any of her usual interrogation from her parents.

"Awsten!" Robbie chimes loudly, as soon as they enter the house.

"Hey, bud!" Awsten smiles, as Robbie runs into his arms. "You've gotten big since the last time I saw you, huh?" He pokes at the six-year old, earning a small giggle.

"Yeah, hey, Robs," Ashley waves, pointlessly. "Glad you missed me."

Robbie only makes a face at her, tugging on Awsten's arm to play on her feigned jealousy, earning an eye roll.

"C'mon," Robbie pulls on Awsten's hand.

"Where're we going?" He asks, following him anyway.

"Kitchen," Robbie replies. "Mom wants to see you."

"See, Mom," Awsten turns to Ashley, with a smirk, referring to her little brother's accent.

"It's just 'cause he was born here," she shoots back, narrowing her eyes. "Not my fault his accent is wrong."

"Hey! My accent isn't wrong," Robbie defends, frowning. "Yours is," he pokes his tongue out at his sister.

"Yeah," Awsten copies his actions, earning a playful shove.

"Is that Awsten?" Ashley's mother, calls as the three of them enter the kitchen.

"It is," Awsten smiles, and Robbie finally releases his hand. "Good to see you, Mrs Thomas."

Jennifer opens her arms for a welcoming hug, which he accepts gladly, with Ashley stood by his side.

"Now I know how Gracie feels," she mutters, earning a soft laugh from Awsten.

"Oh, come here," her mother pulls her into an embarrassingly tight hug.

Jennifer had Ashley when she was only twenty, having married Ashley's father when they were both nineteen, and accidentally falling pregnant shortly after— hence the large age gap between her and Robbie.

It shocks most people to find out that Ashley's parents are only forty— and she's often mistaken for being Robbie's mother, due to the large age gap, while being inaccurately presumed to be Jennifer's sister.

Awsten has always wondered why this didn't make them closer, being younger parents, but Ashley always tells him that they often have clashing views on most things, and wish to lead totally different lifestyles.

"Where's Dad?" Ashley asks, looking around.

"I think he's watching TV," Jennifer replies, nodding towards the living room before returning her focus to making dinner.