never to part, baby of mine // F.W.

Warnings: nightmares, comfort, mentions of pregnancy, time skip

Word count: 2.6k

-----

The song had been passed down through your family. Your grandmother had sung it to your mother when she was just a babe, and your mother had sung it to you when you were born and in need of comfort.

The song had been sung to you in times of struggles and in times of upset. When the only other option was tears, you quietly went through the song in your head, hearing both your mother and your grandmother reciting the words along with you.

Baby Mine would always be with you; it would always be that one song that no matter the situation, could provide one form of comfort or another.

Meeting Fred only proved that.

It hadn't been long after the end of the Second Wizarding War when you first clapped eyes on the Weasley twin; catching a glimpse of him as you strolled through Diagon Alley, desperate for a breath of fresh air rather than the stifling air in your office.

All it was, was a glance. A quick flash of his red hair and tall stature before you lost sight of him again, getting caught in the hustle and bustle of the high street.

It was another week until you saw him again; working up the courage to enter his shop and look at the products whilst trying to shyly admire Fred standing behind the till. All it took was a smile. A smile from him for you to be a goner; to fall completely under his spell. If asked, Fred says the exact same thing. You had simply smiled at him, handing over your shopping, and he felt himself become a fool for you.

It took three visits to the shop for Fred to ask you out to dinner. He couldn't help but laugh lightly as you stuttered your confirmation; taken back by the sudden question asked across a till.

It took one date for Fred to kiss you outside your front door. His lips landed on yours and it was as if all your questions about life and relationships had been answered. As his hand cradled your cheek, all your hopes and dreams had come true. All in this one kiss.

It took four months of dating before Fred let you stay longer than the night.

He had confided to you, early in your relationship, that he was struggling with the aftermath of the war. Night terrors, nightmares and bouts of insomnia – all stemming from the events of the war culminating in his near death experience.

You accepted it all; how could you not? He had bared himself to you in a way he never had with anyone else. You would take him with the rough and the smooth; no matter how hard things could get.

The first nightmare he has with you lying next to him, it takes you no time at all to begin humming the familiar bars to the song once whispered to you by your mother. As you sing the song you have known all your life, you run a hand through his hair, feeling his breathing start to slow, returning to a normal pace. It takes a couple run throughs of the song before Fred feels able enough to draw you into a kiss that practically overflows with his gratefulness of having you by his side.

From there, his nightmares still tormented him, but the aftermath was not suffered alone nor was it so brutal. Before, he would find himself going two, three, four nights with no sleep – silently petrified of what he would find once his eyes slipped close and he fell into his dreams. Now, you were always there, ready and happy to sing the song that had provided you with so much comfort in order to help him find the peace amongst the chaos that had plagued him for so long.

Baby Mine, whilst it provided the needed comfort when the dreams became terrors, also became the song of your relationship. Your love moulded the song; adding depth to the meaning and helping to create moments in your relationship that you would treasure to the end of your days.