A Ghost is a Wish // G.W.

Warnings: time skip, ghosts, spectres, hauntings, swearing, grief, established relationship, fluff, cute, fred is dead.

Word count: 3.8k

-----

At this point in his life, George Weasley has been teaching three years. It wasn't meant to be a permanent post, but rather a position filled until someone more qualified was found for the post. That was what McGonagall had led him to believe so many seconds, minutes, hours ago.

Yet, three years later, George was still to be found lecturing day in and day out to scores of young witches and wizards about the benefits and downfalls of potions and their ingredients. He didn't say it often, but he had found his home within the walls of the dungeon that served as his classroom. He felt nothing but comfort as he meandered through the stone corridors of the school, greeting students by name, always getting a happy response in return.

Three years later, and he finds himself wholly in love with you and ready to dedicate his whole life to the profession of teaching in order to remain close to you. He misses his brother; the grief of losing someone so close to you isn't something that simply fades over night, but having you close by, willing to share that burden makes it all the easier.

The grief of Fred still weighs him down; it still crawls up his throat and threatens to suffocate him, but he finds ways of managing whether it is planning a new lesson or distracting you from your own school work. However, it cannot be ignored for long and though the burden has been halved, George still finds himself missing and wondering about Fred.

----

George paces the front of his classroom, his hands moving in circles as he explains the task to his class. A rather light potion for Sixth Years to be brewing but given that it's Friday afternoon and Potions is the last lesson of the day for these students, George decides to go easy on them.

"I want you to revisit a potion from Second Year. Collect the ingredients for and brew a Wiggenweld Potion. You have the rest of the afternoon to do so and you can chat amongst yourselves. I'll be making rounds so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask."

Auden Vincent raises his hand, waving it so fast there is genuine worry he might hit another student. Deciding not to repress his smile, George acknowledges the Sixth Year.

"Sir," Auden begins, "Did you enjoy your time at Hogwarts?"

"What does that have to do with a Wiggenweld Potion, Auden?"

Auden shrugs, a large smile on his face that shows he knows exactly what he is doing. "I can't help but be curious, you haven't been here as long as the other teachers."

"Three years, Auden. I've been teaching you Potions for three years."

"Still," The young teenager argues, "I think we would like to get to know you more."

George sighs and glances at the clock. Knowing Auden and his tendency to disrupt lessons, George chooses to give in to the teenager. "I enjoyed my time at Hogwarts very much. Now, please, get on with your potion."

From the frown that spreads across Auden's face, it is clear that George has not given enough information. Already, the fight begins to light in Auden's eyes, more and more questions rising to the brink, ready to be dropped into conversation and derail George's lesson. 

"Auden," George sighs, "Before you ask any more questions, understand that I attended Hogwarts through the Second Wizarding War. Whilst I enjoyed my time at the school, I also fought in the war."

Any argument Auden was going to pose falls flat; the fight leaves his eyes in a second. The teenager nods wordlessly before turning his attention back to the set work. George feels awful; he would love to do nothing more than to tell his students about his time at Hogwarts, but all of his memories contain Fred, and even though it's been years, and even though his grief doesn't haunt him as often as it used to, he just isn't ready to verbalise such happy memories.