Nineteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"I just..." Klaus stopped walking and knelt over, holding his stomach. Through our walking, he only looked to be worse. The circles under his eyes had deepened, and his skin was covered in sweat. 

"Klaus? Are you alright?" I asked as he wiped at his face. Klaus let out a sigh. "Oh, I just... Ugh. This is... this is pointless. I..." Klaus paused, turning to look at someone behind us. When I looked, no one was there still. "I'm goin' home. I... I have to go home. I'm so dope sick." Klaus turned before I could say anything else, though he stopped a few steps away from me. 

"You know I could just walk through you, right?" Klaus chuckled. It was the first time I had seen him smile all day. I fully turned around, staring at the space in front of him as he walked through it. "Ta-da!" Klaus waved his hands in the air as he turned back to face me with another smile. 

"You know, I've been meaning to ask who you've been talking to. Sounds like you know them." I spoke up, and Klaus shrugged, waving a hand. 

"Just my pesky brother, Ben. I can't seem to shake him off of my ass right now." Klaus glared in the direction that was beside me.

"Oh. That's cool. Hi Ben." I waved lamely in the direction I thought Ben was in as a couple passed by the front of the alley way, but they didn't look at us. Klaus only scoffed, though I could tell it wasn't at me. 

"He could be anywhere right now, doing God knows what. What else do you want me to do?" Klaus cried out. There was a second of silence, then Klaus rolled his eyes. "Okay, okay. Ben says hi back." Klaus told me, his voice soft, then his eyes turned back to the space Ben was in. "There, you happy?" His voice was annoyed again.

"Is he wanting us to continue looking for Luther?" Klaus nodded at me, then dropped his head back with a huff. 

"Jesus Christ, Ben. You know what? This is probably a good thing. The big guy needs life, and tonight he's out experiencing the real world!" Klaus raised his voice as he walked closer to where I stood. When he finally stopped, he threw his arms out, clearly frustrated with Ben. 

"Well, who is? Was I? Were you?" I grimaced as Klaus immediately slumped down. Even I had to admit, as far as dead brothers went, that one was a bit of a low blow. 

"Klaus." I hissed out, letting most of my scolding go unsaid.

"I- I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Klaus repeated himself, voice quiet as he talked to Ben. "I know you weren't ready to die violently at a young age." Klaus put a hand to his forehead and let out a sigh as he bent over again. "Oh, sobriety isn't easy." Klaus muttered and I frowned. Before I could reply, though, Klaus looked back up. 

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" Klaus complained, stretching his arms out as he looked up to the sky. "It's not my responsibility. I- I didn't sign up to save you or him." Klaus' voice was getting louder again, filled with pent up anger and irritation. He pointed at the space I knew Ben to be in, and as he got closer to Ben, he was jabbing his finger forward again and again. 

"Klaus, maybe lower your voice a little. I don't want to attract attention we don't want." I told him, glancing at the couple that passed us, and the group of friends near the alley entrance. I guess this wasn't exactly the prime place to have an argument with your ghost brother. Klaus tilted his head back again, muttering a curse under his breath. He was seeming to have ignored me in favor or what Ben was saying, which was probably more helpful than me. 

"Alright, let's keep going," Klaus began as he started leading me further into the alley way. "I- I don't know where to go because we've been to seven bars, three strip joints, and a laundromat. All of which were hard to sneak (y/n) in, and surprisingly the laundromat was the worst." Klaus scoffed at the last point, shaking his head. I had to agree with him, having to sneak a physically-thirteen-year-old but mentally-fifty-year-old into a laundromat but breaking into the back room was a long and completely useless process. There was no Luther there and I'm pretty sure the owner wanted to request a warrant for our arrest if Ben didn't push one of the shelves as a distraction. But all of that would have to be a story for another time, or one kept between the three of us.