Thirteen

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

Five let out a frustrated huff and I glanced up at him as he flipped through the pages again. 

"I don't understand what I'm missing. If we could find a way to slow the Captain down and delay the stupid flight, the rest of this case would be handled, but I've read over everything." Five mutter out and I hummed in response. 

"What about the background characters of the file, someone who isn't important yet? The one Captain usually gets his roast from the one shop, right? And the butcher shop is owned by Karl Weber, who takes pride in his work and his shop, but-" I started. Five straightened, smiling at me. 

"His son, Otto, doesn't care very much for it all, though it goes to him if Karl dies." Five finished for me. I nodded. 

"So if the son has the shop and never washes his hands, he could contaminate the Captain's roast." I added on. Five nodded, eyes searching my face. 

"And then the Captain gets sick and delays the flight, one things leads to another and there's the explosion. You're a genius, love." I smiled, ready to object, but before I could, Five's lips were on mine. The kiss was short, only a peck, but it left my cheeks burning and had me staring at Five with wide eyes. Five tucked a hair behind my ear, smile still on his face, then he pulled the typewriter closer to us. "Can you teach me how to do this?" Five asked me and I nodded. 

~

"Hiya Five. How's it going?" Dot called behind us as Five finished typing.

"I must have utter silence in order to complete this task." Five hissed out in reply. I glanced at Dot, seeing her smile falter.

"Oh, okay." She said, voice flat. Five pulled the paper from the typewriter, beginning to roll it up. "Hey, a few of us are having lunch and I was wondering if you-" Five cleared his throat, cutting her off as he opened the desk drawer, pulling out a tube to put the paper in. "You're doing something." I frowned at Five, giving him a look, but he only shrugged at me as he opened the tube and put the paper in. I briefly turned to Dot. 

"Sorry, he just gets in this mood when he's working." I softly told her. Five shook his head, and grabbed my hand, pulling me up and out of my seat. 

"Oh. Bye- Bye!" Dot waved to us as I stumbled out after Five. 

"I'm not here to make friends." Five whispered as we walked to the tube room. 

"I'm aware, but you shutting people out might raise some flags to The Handler since that's exactly what you did last time before disappearing." I replied back under my breath. Five opened the door to the tube room and walked towards the tubes. Gloria was at her desk, using her type writer. "For this case, we use tube 66." I told him and opened the slot. Five went to put the tube in, but a voice stopped us. 

"I'm afraid that's not procedure, you should know that, (y/n)." I frowned as Five pulled the tube back, both of us turning to The Handler. 

"You've never had me do procedure before since I used to work the tube room before Gloria." I objected. The Handler said nothing to me, only holding her hand out for the tube, which Five gave to her. 

"Five, meet Gloria. Gloria is perhaps the single most vital cog in our machine." The Handler introduced, waving her hand to Gloria. Gloria got up from her desk and walked towards us. I frowned a little. It wasn't that I disliked her, but my Aunt had been quick to replace me with her, so I had a small grudge about it. Gloria smiled, letting out a laugh. "Gloria, this is Number Five. You already know (y/n)." I watched as The Handler reached into the tube, pulling out the rolled up slip of paper. 

"Look at you. Deadly little thing. So happy we decided to close the contract on your life." Gloria smiled and laughed again. I gripped Five's hand tighter. 

"It's like I told you before, your reputation here is astounding." I murmured and Five gave a slight nod. 

"Oh. Karl Weber. Now tell me, why unfortunate Karl?" The Handler questioned. Five smiled. 

"Karl Weber is the butcher at the shop where Captain Ernst A. Lehmann acquires his weekly roast. So if Karl dies, as (y/n) reminded me, his butcher shop is passed down to his son Otto, who never washes his hands, which is disgusting." Five explained, contorting his face as he talked. I smiled at the face of disgust Five made.

"So then Otto is the one to give the Captain his roast, which would give him food poisoning." I added and Five nodded. 

"Which makes him late for work, and in turn delays the takeoff. And to make up for lost time, the Hindenburg flies through a weather front of high electrical charge and humidity." Five continued.

"And the static electricity inside the aircraft makes it a virtual tinderbox. There are tiny engine sparks, then one thing lead to another and..." Five brought his hand down in the air, mimicking an explosion to finish off my point. Both Gloria and The Handler laughed. 

"Quite the brain you have there, Five, to figure that out." The Handler commented and I let my smile falter. Five brought me closer to his side. 

"Well, it's like I said earlier, (y/n) reminded me about Otto. If she hadn't, I wouldn't have figured it out so quickly. I mean, it was her case to begin with. All I did was read over her notes and we figured it out together." Five said and The Handler hummed, waving a hand at him as Gloria put the tube Five had made back together. 

"You say one thing, I say another. Gloria, that tube is good to go, now Five, (y/n), follow me."

~

She had led us back to the room we were working in, a smile on her face as she pulled Five forward. 

"I'm sure you've all heard that Mr. Five has proven to be as adept with a pen as he was with a sword." The Handler announced. Five looked down, seeming awkward as The Handler pat him on the back. My hand was still held in his as he walked back to his desk. "Let his effort serve as inspiration to you all. Herb! How long have you been on the Lusitania?" Five pulled me to sit back down and he grabbed the file of the case we had just solved. Herb stammered over his words beside me, trying to answer the Handler's question. Part of me felt bad for him, but I knew I couldn't help him out either. "Sorry?" The Handler held a hand to her ear, leaning forward. "Sorry? I can't hear you. Still can't hear you." 

The lunch buzzer sounded, cutting Herb's mumbling off. Everyone around us stood, beginning to chatter to one another as they left the room. Five glanced up after everyone was gone, closing the file and placing it back on the desk. I watched as he stood, letting my hand go to grab the folder off of Dot's desk, then he put the folder under his vest. My jaw dropped slightly as I looked at him. 

"That's been your plan?" I asked and Five shrugged, pulling me up out of the seat. 

"Not my first, but as of now the easiest. It's a wonder you guys don't have to lock them up." Five said, leading me out of the room.

"Well, usually we'd only have to worry about guys like you stealing our hearts, not our work." I replied as we walked down the hall. Five hummed.

"Guys like me?" He sent me a sly smile and I rolled my eyes as he held the bathroom door open for me, then he waved for me to follow him into one of the stalls. 

"This has to be some of the dumbest shit I've done." I whispered, shaking my head and following him into the stall, then closing the door behind me.