One

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

"You called for me?" I closed the door to The Handler's office, and she turned in her chair, smiling at me.

"(y/n), yes. I have a mission for you." The Handler spoke, getting straight to the point. I frowned at her.

"I'm not meant to be on the field anymore." I said, reminding her. The Handler waved her hand.

"This one is extra special, just for you. I'm sure you recall Five, yes?" The Handler asked. I crossed my arms at the question, nodding as hurt bubbled up in my chest. I let out a breath, turning my eyes to the floor. A year had gone by and he still brought an ache to my chest after that day when I was dumped as a partner, and it had broken my heart to know he seemingly never wanted to interact with me anymore. 

"Yeah, I recall him." I finally answered, looking back at her. The Handler nodded, still smiling at me.

"I thought you might. Recently, he broke his contract with the Commission, traveling back to 2019. AJ sent others on the job, but I thought you might be better equipped considering the terms of your partnership and where things were left off." The Handler explained to me. I tilted my head, looking back up at my aunt.

"Does AJ know I'd be going?" I questioned and The Handler shrugged.

"He doesn't need to. I know you'll get this done. Maybe try not to kill Five, though, would you?" I nodded. I couldn't even if I had tried to.

"How am I meant to have a briefcase if AJ doesn't sign off on the job?" I asked, and The Handler reached under her desk, pulling one out and handing it to me over the desk.

"I snuck it out of one of the backrooms. No one will notice it's gone." She replied, waving her hand. I nodded again, grabbing the briefcase handle and pulling it to me.

"Thank you, Auntie Handler." I tried to give her a smile, but it fell. She smiled at me.

"Of course, dear. Now, you should go. I have another meeting in ten minutes and I need to prepare." I moved to the door, but she shook her head. "Leave with the briefcase to go after Five. The date is already set. Oh! The tracker, before I forget." The Handler slid a device to me and I grabbed it, glancing down at the screen, then I lifted the briefcase up and pressed the button. 

A light blue light encased me, and for a moment I felt weightless. It was a feeling I still wasn't used to, as the light disappeared, then I was in the middle of street instead of The Handler's office. I turned, looking around as the sun began to set behind a cluster of buildings.

"Oh, poor girl. Are you lost?" I faced the person talking, scrunching up my nose at the old woman speaking to me.

"Girl? I-" I paused, seeing myself in the glass reflection of the building I was in front of. I was young again, most likely thirteen. I let out a gasp, looking down and touching gently at arms, then my face as I stared back at my reflection. Oh, shit.

~

I walked out of the store in new clothes that fit me, feeling annoyed as I carried the briefcase by my side. No wonder it was in a backroom where no one would miss it, because the damn thing was malfunctioning and didn't just help you travel somewhere, it de-aged you as well. 

Halfway down the road, I pulled the tracking device out of my pocket, frowning at the blinking dot on the screen. It wasn't far from me. I followed it as the sun set further down in the sky, swinging the briefcase at my side. Soon I came to a donut shop called, "Griddy's Doughnuts". Inside, I could see people fighting as the lights flickered. Someone shot their gun, and I could see the faint flicker of blue that appeared every time Five teleported somewhere. I sighed, knowing the people fighting Five would have been sent from the Commission.