Eight

~ (y/n)'s P.O.V. ~

I woke up to a hand brushing through my hair, soft and hesitant, almost like they were scared of waking me. 

"When's it supposed to happen?" I heard Luther question. I shifted, on the bed, slowly blinking my eyes open to see Five was sitting up beside me, leaning against the wall behind the bed. Luther was sitting across from us in a chair. 

"When is what supposed to happen?" My voice cracked as I moved my head into Five's lap, letting myself relax still as Five played with my hair.

"This... apocalypse." Luther elaborated. Five twirled some of the strands of my hair around his finger, being quiet for a moment before he answered. 

"I can't give you the exact hour, but... from what I could gather we have four days left." Luther frowned, his face slackening.

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" Luther asked. I huffed a breath, drawing little designs with my finger on Five's shorts. I sent Luther a look. 

"Would it have mattered? Would you have even listened to him if he had? Because to me the whole lot of you doesn't seem to be on any level of listening to each other." Luther set his jaw at my comment. 

"Of course it would have mattered. We still could've banded together and helped him try to stop this thing. And why do you get to butt in on this? You barely even know our family." Luther shifted forward in his seat, already on defense from my comment. I scoffed, and Five sighed. 

"For the record, you already tried." Five's voice was flat, interrupting any coming argument. Luther furrowed his eyebrows. 

"What do you mean?" Five's hand paused in my hair and I glanced up at him. He stared down with a frown, eyes avoiding mine. 

"I found all of you. Your bodies." Five's voice was quiet. I turned to lay on my back, eyes searching Five's face. I gently grabbed the hand he had been running through my hair, holding it close to my chest, attempting to give him some form of comfort. 

"We die?" Luther's voice had softened and Five's eyes flickered up. 

"Horribly." Five swallowed, turning his head back down to face me. I remember faintly Five mentioning the deaths to me when we had been partners, though he never went into detail on what it was like for him. I frowned at him, squeezing his hand tighter in mine. "You were together, trying to stop whoever it was that ends the world." 

"Wait, how do you know that?" Luther questioned. Five looked away from me, using a hand to reach into his pocket and then he threw something to Luther. 

"This was clutched in your dead hand when I found you." Luther caught the object, then turned it in his hands. I could tell it was the glass eye Five always seemed to be carrying with him. When we were on missions, he used to pull it out and turn it in his hands, staring for minutes upon minutes at a time. I never knew the significance until now "Must've ripped it out of their head right before you went down." Luther held up the eye.

"Whose head?" Luther asked, but Five shrugged. 

"Like I said, I don't know." Five answered simply. 

"Well, there's a serial number on the back. Think maybe you could try-" Five shook his head, running his thumb on the back of my knuckles. 

"No, that's a dead end." Five huffed a laugh. "It's just another hunk of glass." Luther leaned forward, giving the eye back to Five. As Luther sat back down, the door to Diego's room burst open, making me jump and sit up in the bed. I stared wide eyed as Diego stormed in. 

"Piece of shit." Diego growled out upon entering. I blinked at Diego as he walked down the small set of steps, coming towards Five and I angrily. "Do you have any idea what you just did?" Luther stood, catching Diego. I flinched when Diego still forced himself forward, and Five wrapped an arm around me, holding me close as we watched. "Nope, let me- Get your ape hands off of me!" Luther lifted Diego up, shaking his head. 

"I can do this as long as it takes you to calm down." Luther replied calmly. Diego stopped struggling in Luther's hold, panting out. 

"Fine." Luther let Diego go, but stayed in front of him. 

"Now, you wanna tell us what you're talkin' about?" Diego snuck a glare in our direction, a scowl on his lips.

"Our brother's been pretty busy since he got back. Maybe even his little girlfriend too. He was in the middle of the shootout at Griddy's, and then at Gimble Brother's. Funnily enough, while there are no witnesses to say, at both crime scenes there was a small vine growing through the ground, and at first I didn't get it, but then I remembered (y/n). Then the guys in masks attacked the Academy looking for him and recognizing her." Diego pointed a finger at the two of us and I shifted. 

"None of which is any of your concern." Five spoke up. Diego nodded his head. 

"It is now. They just killed my friend." Diego's eyes filled with tears, though he didn't let them fall. My heart hurt at the sight, leaving me feeling sorry for Diego. Luther turned, giving us both a look. 

"Who are they?" Luther asked, his eyebrows furrowed as he stared at the two of us. 

"Hazel and Cha-Cha work for his former employer, and my current employer. The Handler. She sent them probably because I wasn't supposed to be on the job to go after Five. I was a secret." I answered. Five ran a hand up and down my arm, shifting us. 

"Then, soon as Diego's friend got in their way, well, fair game." Five answered with a shrug. Diego's scowl deepened. 

"And now they're my fair game. And I'm gonna see to it they pay." Diego turned, walking back to his door. 

"That would be a mistake, Diego." Five called out and I nodded. 

"The Commission works to train their workers well, nearly impossible to kill. We couldn't even take down the both of them with four of us fighting." I added on, trying to save him the trouble. He would only get killed too, but Diego only scoffed in reply. 

"Please, you got kicked out of the fight early." I frowned, ready to argue, but instead chose not to. 

"They've killed people far more dangerous than you." Five informed him. Diego reached the doorway, grabbing onto the door. 

"Yeah, we'll see about that." The door slammed behind him. We were all quiet for a moment, then Luther turned to us. 

"Former employer? Current employer? What's this really about? And don't give me any of this 'It's none of your business' crap, all right?" Luther cried out, seeming more confused and frustrated with every word. Five sighed. 

"Well, it's a long story."