Take A Chance On Me {2}

Rupert gave me the hurry up look, so I glanced left and right for teachers before pulling out the keys and unlocking the door, scurrying in hastily. The others went in behind me, and as soon as we were all in Eric started whooping, and I grinned.

“Yeah baby, let’s do this!” Eric shouted, and I rolled my eyes, struggling not to call him a natural born frat boy. Ashley and Tabitha linked arms, giggling and flipping their hair before strutting to the side of the pool, looking down into it.

“Is there enough food coloring? That looks kind of deep,” Tabitha said, peering over the edge. Eric winked at Rupert before grabbing her waist and pretending to try to shove her in.

“Eeek!” She squealed, slapping at Eric. “Eric you dick! Lay off!” She shouted, and he laughed. I sighed, shaking my head and walking to the edge of the pool cautiously determined. Well, at least I don’t have to go in. I can swim about as well as an obese guy with no arms. Picture it, and then you have me swimming.

“So, you gonna do it Tate? Come on, dump it in!” Rupert encouraged.

“I’m getting to it assface,” I snapped, and he just grinned, nudging me forward. I pushed his hand away and tried to unscrew the cap, unable to open it. Curse my limp noodle arms. I sighed dramatically and thrust the bottle to Rupert, gesturing for him to open it. He shook his head at me, calling me a “Wimp.” I shrugged, and as he was opening it he was struggling too.

“Oh, give it here you weakling,” Eric said, going up to Rupert and trying to take the bottle.

“No, I got it! Get away!” Rupert said, wrestling with Eric over the bottle.

 Suddenly Eric shoved Rupert, knocking into him forcefully. I quickly moved back, forgetting the only thing behind me was an eight foot deep pool. I reached out, grabbing at something, anything to keep me from falling in, but it was too late.

“Guys!” I shouted, before I fell in and felt the water cover my face and body. I shut my eyes, holding my breath and flailing under the water. I tried to fight my way back to the surface but I only seemed to go deeper, and I started to panic. I tried to scream for one of them to save me, to help me but I ended up taking in water and making it worse. My nose burned from the amount of water I took in and my head pounded in fear.

All I felt was ice cold dread rushing through my veins, when suddenly something warm and firm wrapped around my waist, and my back was pulled against something even warmer and more firm. I felt myself being tugged upwards just as my lungs screamed from lack of oxygen. My vision started to wink out, and the next thing I know everything was black.

                                                                                                ***

It was all dark, and everything hurt. I heard people shouting, and I felt something warm on my lips, and something else pushing terribly harshly on my chest. Abruptly I felt liquid rush up my throat, and I immediately sat up coughing and spluttering, eyes flying open wide. I leaned to the side, gasping for breath with water spilling from my lips.

“Tate! Oh my god, Tate are you okay?!” I recognized Ashley’s voice screeching, but I couldn’t respond for more than one reason. The water had stopped coming out of me, and I was panting, finally able to take in clean breaths. I looked up, blinking to clear my vision, and found myself face to face with Callum.

He was dripping wet, just like me, breathing a bit heavily but not as heavily as I was. His legs were on either side of mine, which were laying flat on the ground. His hands were in fists on the ground, but not clenched angrily.