Take A Chance On Me {6}

After the words left Tabitha’s mouth, all I could do was freeze. Humiliate Callum in front of the whole school? I…I can’t do that! I gulped, and Eric glared.

“Well? Are you going to do it? Oh, of course you’ll do it. Because you’re our little bitch, and that’s how it’s always going to be.” Eric sneered, and my jaw dropped. He walked away, the rest of them following behind him quickly. He did NOT just say that to me! Like hell if I’m going to do anything for them now!

But…they’re still my only friends, and the easiest and best way to get attention around here. I have to humiliate Callum if I want things to keep going the way they are. Do I want that though? Ugh, inner turmoil! I sighed, leaving the gym after a few minutes of stressing and going to my locker, opting to eat my lunch there. I don’t want to talk to anyone right now. I sat down on the ground, leaning against the lockers behind me.

How am I supposed to humiliate Callum anyways? The guy could care less about anything that’s done to him. I guess I could….no, that’s ridiculous. I know, I just need to….ugh, not a chance. I have no idea what to do. I tossed my sandwich back in my bag, standing and putting it in my locker. I guess I’ll just do the old syrup and feathers? I mean Eric does that to some nerd like once a month. It just…doesn’t feel right.

I slammed my locker shut with a groan of frustration. At least I have until tomorrow to….re-evaluate my life choices. Yeah, sounds about right.

**Next day**

I bumped into yet another person on the way to my locker that morning, ignoring the dirty look. I’ve been so nervous, I can barely pay attention to where I’m going. I never get nervous, or guilty, or so terrified of doing of something! I hate to say it, but this might be where I have to draw the line…no, I can’t! I have to do this. My entire high school rep depends on this moment. I put the medium sized bucket of syrup in my locker, and was about to put the feathers, when I felt a hand clamp on my shoulder. 

“Hey traitor. You ready to prove your worth to us now?” I widened my eyes at Eric, swallowing.

“Now? Like…right now right now?” I asked, and he nodded with a smirk.

“Now. Bright and early is the best time baby!” He shouted in my ear and I winced, rubbing his spittle off. Gross.

“F-fine, whatever you say.” He smacked me shoulder, grinning sleazily.

“That’s my boy. Get to it; we’ll be waiting along with everyone else!” He strutted off, and I leaned my head against my locker. What have I gotten myself into?

I got the syrup, ignoring the feathers and headed over to where they were standing. They had gathered a few of the other high standard kids and thus more people followed. It was all near Callum’s locker, who stood getting his books, oblivious to all the onlookers. Oh man, oh man oh man. I shoved through the crowd, hearing the whispers and slowly making my way to Callum. I swallowed the guilt down, standing behind him.

“Do it already Tate!” Rupert shouted, standing too close behind me and I cringed. Callum turned to see what he was talking about, and froze when he spotted me behind him. He looked from my eyes to the bucket, and simply shut his locker. He turned and met my eyes, and something in his was telling me it was okay, just to do it. Acceptance.

“It’s okay, Tate. Do what you have to do.” I bit my lip, wishing he didn’t have to make this worse by saying that so calmly.

“Get on with it you pussy!” Eric snapped, and from his voice I could tell he was right behind me, eager to watch this go down.

 ‘’He’s just a nothing loser, no one likes him, I bet even his parents hate him!” Eric said, laughing with the others. I grit my teeth at this comment, as I saw a tiny, almost unnoticeable amount of pain flash in Callum’s eyes before disappearing. That’s it, the last straw.