Take A Chance On Me {21}

I sat in the waiting room, biting my nails and anxiously shaking my leg. I just couldn’t stop worrying about Tate.

            “Tate, no. Please no,” I whimpered before giving him mouth-to-mouth again.

            This time, to my relief, he choked out water and gasped weakly for air. I pulled him into my arms, rubbing his back as he threw up water and gagged.

            He slumped back weakly in my arms, unconscious and barely breathing. Terror started pumping through me again as I shrieked for help.

            One of the teachers had found us in the pool room when I started screaming, and had called an ambulance for Tate. And now, here I was.

            The worst part was that they thought it was an accident. They thought Tate had slipped into the pool. They didn’t know he had been thrown in by mentally-fucked up teenagers.

            I was going to wait until Tate was conscious. I would let him tell the cops what had happened, since I didn’t know exactly.

            I looked over as Tate’s parents entered the waiting room. Craig was trailing behind them, and when he spotted me, his eyes widened and he rushed over.

            “What happened to Tate?” He demanded in terror.

            “I thought you didn’t care about him.” I snapped bitterly.

            Guilt entered his eyes. “Callum, he’s my big brother and he almost died. What the hell happened to him?” He asked, gripping my shoulder.

            “I don’t know exactly. I just know that I found him nearly dead in the pool,” I said at last. I would talk to Tate before I told anyone about the douche-squads involvement in this whole mess. For all I know, they could’ve knocked him out first and then tossed him in the pool.

            I looked over at Mr. and Mrs. Giardino. They were sitting down, talking to each other. Neither of them looked concerned about the fact that their son had almost died.

            “Craig, come here,” Mrs. Giardino said, giving me a dirty look.

            “Mom, Callum is the one who saved Tate,” Craig said, releasing my shoulder.

            “I bet he’s a faggot too,” Mr. Giardino grumbled.

            “Stop it! Your son would be dead if it wasn’t for Callum!” Craig said angrily.

            “Well maybe that was Tate’s karma for choosing such a disgusting life style. Maybe that boy shouldn’t have pulled Tate out of the water,” Mrs. Giardino said coldly.

            My eyes widened and disgust shot through me at even hearing that. How could a mother ever say something that horrible about her own son just because of his sexuality?

            I opened my mouth to yell at the bitch, but Craig beat me to it.

            “Shut up!” He shrieked at her. “Just shut up! Don’t you ever say that! Tate didn’t choose to be gay, and he certainly didn’t choose to have such homophobic shit head parents. How could you even say anything like that? How could you want your own son dead? What kind of fucking parents are you guys?”

            They stared at Craig in shock. He clenched his fists, his eyes starting to water a little as he glared at them.

            “Now you’re going to go in his hospital room and be nice to him, or else you’re going to go home right now and leave him alone. He doesn’t need your shit after he almost drowned today. I hate the way you guys treat Tate. There’s nothing wrong with Tate!” He wiped at his eyes and sat down next to me, not giving his parents another glance.