Take A Chance On Me {12}

***Tate's POV***

I grit my teeth as I stormed after Craig, hearing the noises of the disappointed crowd fade behind me.

“What in the hell did you think you were doing back there?!” I shouted after him, following him off school property.

“I was saving your life, because you’re obviously too dumb to save it yourself!” He stopped walking, turning to face me with a furious look.

“I don’t need saving, especially from you!” I shoved past him, continuing the walk home.

“Why can’t you just get your head out of your ass already?! Boo hoo, my name is Tate and my parents hate me. So what? You’re really willing to kill yourself with these-these ridiculous gags over that?” I spun around, angry tears in my eyes. I shoved his chest, making him stumble backwards.

“You don’t have the right to say that to me! You’re the little angel, the perfect little treat that can do no wrong. You don’t know what it’s like, so don’t you dare even begin to judge me on how I deal with what I’m going through.” The undertone in my voice was scarily composed as I shut my mouth, clenching my jaw.

He finally kept his mouth shut, and I turned and speed walked the rest of the way home, slamming the door behind me and not giving it a second glance as I made my way to my room and shut myself inside.

Who does he think he is, saying those things to me? He has no clue what this feels like, what it has done to me over the years, inside and out. All I wanted from him was a little help, maybe some compassion, to show that he actually gave a crap about me. But I never got that. And he thinks he can just start pretending to care now? I think not. 

I sigh, frustrated, getting up and leaving my room. I head downstairs and leave the house, opting to go for a walk to clear my head. I walk down to the local park, which was about ten minutes away from my house by foot.

When I get there I find a big tree and sit behind it, looking up at the sky. I can’t wait to get out of here, away from my parents and Craig and all this. I used to be happier; a couple of weeks ago before I screwed everything up. I had friends, and that took my mind off of a lot of things I’d rather not think about.

Then there’s Callum. I like him, but…I’m not sure I even know enough to like him. Do I? Or is that just some lame excuse? I can’t tell anymore. Of course, he makes me feel all funny inside, but hell if I know what that’s supposed to mean.

I sigh again, and blink in shock when I see that it is getting darker. How long have I been thinking out here? I check my phone, blinking in shock as the clock on it reads four thirty.

Wow, time flies when…you have inner turmoil? Eh. And it’s winter, which means it gets dark pretty fast now. I get up, wiping off my jeans and turning around the tree, freezing in shock.

Oh hell. How did I manage to forget that Eric, Tabitha, Rupert, Ashley and I all used to hang out in the park sometimes afterschool? I guess they didn’t stop doing that. And now I’m royally screwed. My heart races as I walk slowly past where they are, and I almost sneak by when my nightmare becomes reality and they spot me.

“Whoa, what the hell? Ha, you really have some nerve Tate! Coming here after all that’s happened. What, you missed us so much you had to spy from afar?” Eric calls out, rising from his position on the benches and coming over to me, the rest following like loyal puppies.

I gulped, looking around for a sign of anyone else. Whew, there are a lot of kids here! It is after school. He seems to notice this too, and grabs my arm.

“Why don’t we make this more private, and head to the bathrooms?” I widen my eyes, while Tabitha rolls hers.

“Um, hello? Ashley and I can’t come in if you do it that way idiot.” He winks back at her, tugging me along forcefully.

“We’ll be out in no time, don’t you worry.” He continues dragging me painfully towards the bathroom, while I pale and think of shouting for help before it’s too late and I’m being shoved into the men’s room. I stumble, immediately backing against the farthest wall.

 My blood is pumping, and I can tell by the look in Eric’s and Rupert’s eyes that they don’t mean to just give me a swirly. Eric cracks his knuckles, stalking towards me.

“We finally have you alone, buddy! Isn’t this great? I have been waiting for a while now for my chance. We have so much in store for you already, but this was just too good of a chance to pass up.” He’s in front of me by now, and he leans forward with a smirk.

“Don’t think of this as a beating, Tate. More like…retribution.” At this he slams his fist into my stomach, making me gasp for air. Without giving me time to catch my breath he punches me in the face so hard it sends me sprawling across the floor. I feel two pairs of feet kicking me in my sides, and I struggle not to scream out in pain.

This continues for a minute before Rupert picks me up and slams me against the wall, making my head smash back in the process. He slams me back again, and again I hit my head so hard it can’t be healthy. I shout out in pain, clutching my head and falling to my knees.

My vision is slightly blurry, and it feels like someone was…well, slamming my head against a wall. I topple over on to my side, and pull my hand away from my head, nearly puking when I see it’s covered in blood. Oh crap.

“Rupert, what the hell? I said nothing too obvious!” They argue back and forth, sounding panicked. I mumble, trying to tell them to get help but I can’t from words. Suddenly one of them grabs my shirt, and whispers menacingly into my ear, “You better tell anyone about this, or I swear I will kill you.”

And then they’re gone, leaving me lying there with a gash in my head and bruises all over, hardly staying conscious. I reach for my phone, trying to put my code in but it’s no use. I drop it, letting my arm fall to the ground as the pain becomes overwhelming and unconsciousness takes over.

****

“Oh my god! Someone……an ambulance! Quick…..’s my brother!” I hear voices, talking around me but it’s hard to make out full sentences. I try to open my eyes, but I can’t. They feel heavy. I feel a pressure on my hand, like someone is holding it. I try to squeeze, and what do you know.

“Tate? Can you hear me? Can you open your eyes?” I obviously can’t respond, but that doesn’t sound like Craig this time. What the…? And seconds later I pass out again, the pounding in my head drowning out everything else.

I assume what can only be hours later, I wake up in my bed. I look around, eyes opening successfully this time, seeing that it’s dark and it must be really, really late. My head hurts like a mother, and several other parts of me ache as well but not as badly. I look to my right, and make out a figure in the dark, making me want to jump in fear but I know it’s not anyone…dangerous. I hope.

 I squint, trying to get a better look. I don’t think it’s Craig, it’s too….wide. I reach an arm out and flick on the light, and gasp in surprise.

 Callum?! What in the name of Ellen DeGeneres is he doing here? In my room? In the dark? Sleeping in a chair next to my bed?!

I get myself together and scrutinize him, dismissing the thought that passes in my head about how cute he looks asleep. Wait, how am even here?

 Last I remember I was lying on the floor of the bathroom, out cold. I heard Craig’s voice, and I realize now that other voice must have been his.

 But what were they both doing at the park? How did they find me? Gah, all these questions are giving me a headache, no pun intended.

I look back at him just in time to see his eyelids fluttering open. My heart races again, but in a good way this time.

Well, this should be incredibly awkward.