Take A Chance On Me {8}

I walked cautiously, looking behind me and everywhere else just in case. I never know where Eric and them are at, so I have to watch my back…constantly. I sigh in relief as I saw that no one was around but me, and dashed into the locker rooms.

After what happened yesterday, I felt so…good. I haven’t felt that good in a long time. I know, that sounds weird. Eric was trying to hurt Callum, and I didn’t like that part. But Callum, he protected me. He looked at me like he didn’t want anything to happen to me. It’s been such a long time since anyone has looked at me that way. And it only made me want more.

I had a plan for my next stunt, but I need something from the locker rooms to get it, so I had to go during my math class. Screw math. I was being stalked like prey by Eric at lunch, so that wasn’t a good time to go. It was pretty awful actually, him looking for me. I had to hide so he didn’t pound in my face.

I walked toward the end of the lockers, glancing around. Now, where do they keep the basketballs?

SLAM!

 I jerked around, heart pounding.  What the hell was that? I looked around, not seeing anything.

“Okay, stop psyching yourself out Tate. No one is here.” I shook myself, continuing my search when-

SLAM!

“Oh come on!” I walked toward where the noise was, and when I turned the corner I stopped in my tracks, gulping. Oh crap.

“Hey Tate! We’ve been looking everywhere for you!” Eric said, smiling brightly.

“Well, you found me, heh. I’ll just be going now.” I turn to go, but he puts a hand on my shoulder and slams me against the lockers, staring down at me.

“Nice try. You’re not going anywhere, not for a while.” He said, grinning.

“But…I have math class! Math is very important, you know. You use it…when you’re…a math teacher.” I said, giving him a nervous glance.

“Rupert, help me out here. Come on, open it up.” He says, and I look at him in confusion.

“Uh….open what? You know you have to have a license for brain surgery.” He rolls his eyes, and shoves me away from the locker he was holding me against. Rupert opens it, letting the door slam against another locker. So that’s what the noise was.

“Let’s hope you’ve been laying off the McDonald’s, otherwise you won’t fit!” Wait…what?

“Y-you’re not going to shove me in there are you?” They smirk, grabbing my arms. I thrash, throwing my legs around.

“Come on guys! Didn’t you like the brain surgery idea? I’m sure you can get by without a license!” I shouted, struggling to no use. They shoved me in backwards, so I was facing the door. I tried to lunge out but they shoved me back in.

“Have fun! See you later!” They slammed the door in my face, and I heard them laughing as they left the locker room. I clenched my fists, my breathing coming in pants. Calm down, Tate. It’s not that much of a closed space. You can handle it. I looked around, and I felt like the walls were closing in on me. I felt like throwing up.

I put my face to the cracks in the locker, trying to breathe in the air but that didn’t help. Damn claustrophobia. I leaned back, closing my eyes and imaging being somewhere else. Somewhere bigger. It didn’t work with the sides of the locker squishing my arms.

Instead, my mind transported me to a memory much, much worse.

***

I looked at the clock, tears running down my face. It’s almost six. Which means it’s almost time. I fidgeted with my hands, hiccupping and terrified. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and whimpered, curling further into the corner of the room more than I was.