Take A Chance On Me {20}

I didn't have time to scream as my back hit the cover, tangling me in its plastic web as I was submerged under the same water that nearly drowned me once before. The familiar burning from the lack of air in my lungs caused me to cry out to no avail under the water. My arms flailed, and my legs kicked in a futile fight to get to the surface, to air. I felt the pressure becoming too much inside, and my thoughts could only produce one name. Callum...

                        ~Three hours earlier~

            “Callum, he's doing it again.” I groaned, giving Eric a dry look across the room as he stared death at us.

            Callum simply looked over at him, giving a small smile and leaning forward, putting his hands together and cracking his knuckles lightly, still smiling pleasantly. Eric paled a bit and scowled nastily before turning away and whispering to Rupert and Tabitha. Ashley had stopped hanging out with them a couple days ago, after the fight, but no one has seen her around either. She's probably eating in the bathroom.

            “He won't be bothering you anymore, that's for sure.” Callum smirked, and I turned my dry look to him. He gave me a 'What?' look.

            “Don't you give me that face. Why didn't you tell me you're a black belt before?” He shrugged.

“It never came up. It didn't seem worth mentioning. I never planned on using my skills again unless I had to.”

            “Oh, you had to beat Eric to a pulp did you?” He just kept on smirking and I rolled my eyes. Cocky Callum is sexy, but also slightly annoying. I glance back over at them, and they were all looking over at me, and whispering amongst each other. I gulped, looking back down at my food. Something in their eyes is not right. Sure they're terrorizing me and lots of others at the school, but they're just kids right? They would never seriously hurt me, what they do is just for kicks...right?

            The bell signaling the end of lunch rang out, and I got up with a sigh. All I can do is wait and see I guess. I grinned and ogled Callum's backside as he walked ahead of me. I saw his shoulders tense and pouted. How does he always know when I’m looking?! I smirked and slapped his ass, laughing as he jumped and gave me a glare.

            “Tate, I swear. I will retaliate one of these days.”

            “No you won't.” I chuckled as he grumbled and walked with me out of the cafeteria.

When I got to my locker and he went to his, I paused, pursing my lips. In black, dripping spray paint on my locker read the word 'FAG'. It bothered more than it should. No one ever really bullied me for my sexuality before, mainly because I was so popular, and the douche squad didn't care that I was gay. Apparently they care now.

            Ignoring the slur I opened my locker and got my books, hoping Callum would take longer and wouldn't end up seeing my locker right now. Some point in the day he will see it, but not right now. Eric will surely die, and that won't be good press at all. I shut my locker and fast walked over to Callum, watching with amusement as he jumped at my sudden arrival.

            “Well, eager much?” I just smiled and grabbed his arm, pulling him along to our next class. I'd just have to scrub it off after school and hope he doesn't see at some point during the day.