Introduction

Paris, 1905
The stage of the Opera Populaire

An auction has been in progress in the old, burned-down theatre. They were selling everything that was left in good condition after the fire. In the crowd was Natasha Romanoff and a crippled Sylvie. Two people who used to work there. That all changed when they met a woman who would change their lives forever.

"Sold! Your number, sir?" someone held up their number for the Auctioneer, "Thank you. Lot 663, then. Ladies and gentlemen, a poster of this house's production of Hannibal by Chalumeau."

"Showing here," a man revealed a poster of the show.

"Do I have ten francs?" no one, "Five then?" Someone put their number up, "Five I am bid. Six?" Silvie had her carer put up her number, "Six. Do I see seven?" another number, "Seven. Against you, ma'am, seven. Eight?" her number goes up, "Eight. Eight once. Selling twice. Sold! To Sylvie Lushton. Thank you very much. Lot 664. Ladies and gentlemen, a wooden pistol and three human skulls from the 1831 production of Robert le Diable by Meyerbeer."

A man showed them off for everyone to see.

"Ten francs for this," a number went up, "Ten, thank you. Ten I am bid. Ten francs still," another number went up, "Fifteen, thank you, sir. Fifteen I am bid."

The man who bid ten francs gave up, "Going for 15. Your number, sir?" the winner put his number up, "Thank you."

"Lot 665. Ladies and gentlemen, a paper-mâché musical box in the shape of a barrel organ. Attached, the figure of a monkey in Persian robes, playing the cymbals. This item, discovered in the vaults of the theatre, still in working order, ladies and gentlemen."

"Showing here."

The monkey played a familiar tune. Maybe not to everyone else, but for Natasha and Sylvie. They've heard the song before and they know who the monkey originally belonged to.

"May I commence at 20 francs?" The Auctioneer asked.

Nothing, "Oh, come, come, ladies and gentlemen. Fifteen, then?" Sylvie's number went up, "fifteen I am bid. Thank you very much," Another number, "Yes, 20 from you, sir. Thank you very much."

"Twenty-five," Natasha said.

"Twenty-five on my right. Thank you, madam. Twenty-five I am bid. Thirty?" Sylvie's number went back up, "Thirty. Selling at thirty francs, then."

Natasha didn't want it now.

"Thirty once, thirty twice... Sold for thirty francs to Sylvie Lushton. Thank you very much, Ma'am."

"Boy," Sylvie stopped the man from taking the music box away.

He showed her the music box. Sylvie had never seen it before but she knew what it was. Her lover would talk about it constantly. Every detail, the song it played, and where he saw it.

'A collector's piece indeed. Every detail exactly as he said. He often spoke of you, my friend. Your velvet lining and your figurine of led. Will you still play when all the rest of us are dead?' Sylvie sang.

The man took the music box away.

"Lot 666, then," the Auctioneer moved on, "A chandelier in pieces. Some of you may recall the strange affair of The Phantom of the Opera, a mystery never fully explained. We are told, ladies and gentlemen, that this is the very chandelier that figures in that famous disaster. Our workshops have restored it and fitted parts of it with wiring for the new electric light, so that we may get a hint of how it may look when reassembled," He chuckled, "Perhaps we may even frighten away the ghost of so many years ago with a little illumination, gentlemen!"

The chandelier was revealed, sparking as the electric lights turned on. Now, we go back in time to where our story began. Before the fire. And where a Ballet boy's career will change forever.