Chapter Eight: Will Loki do it?

"Ah, Mr. Laufeyson, quite the man of the hour!" Wong said.

'You have secured the largest role in this "Don Juan"' Stephen told him

'Loki Laufeyson? He doesn't have the voice!' Wanda mocked.

"Miss, please!" Wong told her

'Then I take it you're agreeing,' Sylvie said to them.

'He's behind this...' Wanda commented.

'It appears we have no choice,' Stephen told Sylvie.

'He's the one behind this! Loki Laufeyson!' Wanda said seeming so smug.

'How dare you?' Loki said offended.

"I'm not a fool!" 

'You evil woman! How dare you?'

"You think I'm blind?"

'This isn't my fault! I don't want any part in this plot!'

'Mr. Laufeyson surely...' Wong said getting in the middle of them.

'But why not?' Stephen asked

'What does she say?' Petro asked Wanda

'It's your decision, but why not?' Wong asked Loki

"He's backing out!" Wanda whispered to Petro.

'You have a duty!' Stephen told Loki.

'I cannot sing it, duty or not,' Loki told them.

'Loki, Loki... You don't have to... They can't make you...' Sylvie told Loki and glaring at everyone on that last part.

'Please, monsieur—another note,' everyone groaned at Natasha, '"Fondest greetings to you all! A few instructions just before rehearsal starts: Petro must be taught to act, not his normal trick of strutting 'round the stage. Our Don Juan must gain some weight- It's not healthy in a girl of Wanda's age. And my managers must learn that their place is in an office, not the arts. As for Mr Loki Laufeyson. No doubt he'll do his best. It's true his voice is good. He knows, though, should he wish to excel, he has much still to learn if pride will let him return to me, his teacher. His teacher... Your obedient friend... and Angel'"

"I can't..." Loki said, "I won't do it!"

'We have all been blind and yet the answer is staring us in the face,' Sylvie told them, 'This could be the chance to ensnare our clever friend.'

"We're listening," Stephen said.

"Go on," Wong urged.

'We shall play her game,' Sylvie said, 'perform her work, but remember we hold the ace For, if Mr. Laufeyson sings, she is certain to attend.'

'We make certain the doors are barred,' Stephen said

'We make certain our men are there,' Wong said.

'We make certain they're armed,' Sylvie said.

'The curtain falls, her reign will end!' The three said.

'Madness!' Natasha told them

'I'm not so sure,' Stephen said confidently.

'Not if it works,' Wong said.

'This is madness!' Natasha told them again.

'The tide will turn!' Stephen said.

'Monsieur, believe me, there is no way of turning the tide!'

"You stick to ballet!" Wong told her.

'Then help us!' Sylvie told her.

'Miss, I can't.'

'Instead of warning us-'

'Help us!' The three told her.

'I wish I could.'

'Don't make excuses!'

'Or could it be that you're on his side?' Sylvie asked.

'She's her accomplice!' The twins assumed

'Monsieur, believe me, I intend no ill but Monsieurs, be careful. We have seen him kill...'

Everyone started singing over each other again. The twins still assumed that Loki was the one behind this script to overthrow them. The managers knew they'd be free of (Y/N)'s torments if this plan would work. But Loki was becoming overwhelmed. It's only been a day since this started and now he was suddenly their only hope of stopping his Angel. And they were practically offering him as bate to her! It was all too much to handle in just a few minutes. Loki shut them up.

"IF YOU DON'T STOP, I'LL GO MAD!" Loki yelled throwing the script he had, 'Sylvie, I'm frightened. Don't make me do this! Sylvie, it scares me. Don't put me through this ordeal by fire, she'll take me, I know. We'll be parted forever. She won't let me go. What I once used to dream, I now dread. If she finds me, it won't ever end and she'll always be there, singing songs ​in my head. She'll always be there, singing songs ​in my head.'

"He's mad," Wanda said.

'You said yourself, she was nothing but a girl,' Sylvie said softly, 'Yet while she lives, she will haunt us 'til we're dead.'

'Twisted every way, what answer can I give? Am I to risk my life to win the chance to live? Can I betray the girl who once inspired my voice? Do I become her prey? Do I have any choice? She kills without a thought. She murders all that's good. I know I can't refuse, and yet, I wish I could. Oh God, if I agree, what horrors wait for me in this, the Phantom's opera?'

'Loki, Loki, don't think that I don't care but every hope and every prayer rests on you now,' Sylvie told her.

Everyone started begging him to do the opera. Loki didn't want to. He really didn't. He couldn't handle the pressure anymore and ran off. Sylvie called after him but he was long gone. 

"So, it is to be war between us! But this time, clever friend, the disaster will be yours!" Sylvie yelled hoping (Y/N) would hear her.

She didn't. But Loki eventually agreed to do the part. If he wants a life with Sylvie, he has to help take (Y/N) out of the picture. But, when rehearsals arrived, Petro was struggling with pronouncing the words due to his accent and his range wasn't the same as the one written for the part. (Y/N) watched from her box. Not that she normally would but she needed to. She had a plan for opening night that included watching rehearsals. But, most of all, she wanted to watch Loki and see how well he was doing.

He was doing very well even if he didn't want to do her opera. When Petro continued to get it wrong, everyone got annoyed at the notes that were written. Most of them were out of their range or genuinely annoying to sing. The only range that was right was Loki's. While everyone complained, the piano started to play itself, getting everyone's attention. This was (Y/N)'s doing. She had often tampered with things to keep up the appearance that she was a ghost. But, now that it has become obvious that she's just a girl, she has no need for them. But she couldn't let this one go to waste. Loki left to visit his father's grave.

'In sleep, she sang to me. In dreams, she came. That voice which calls to me and speaks my name.'